New MB or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

langers

Baseband Member
Ok I have just ordered a 6600 GT 256 meg AGP card, however looking on the website where I ordered it from the PCI-E 6800GS with 256 megs is the same price!!!

Now I could possibly offered to upgrade my MB but nothing else, will some of these newer MB take my existing 266 or 333 mhz memory (I cant remember what I have) until I can upgrade at a later date?

Im running a p4 2.8ghz.

yeah, it'll suck down the memory just fine. But, another option is to return the 6600GT 256mb card and get the 128mb edition. The two cards are neck-in-neck for performance. The 6600GT just doesn't utilize the extra 128mb of memory. You will save money this way. BUT, if you do decide to go with the new motherboard and 6800GS, take a look at the new motherboard and see if it supports DDR or DDR2. Sounds like you're wanting to run DDR, but if it's DDR2 only, then you have another compatibility problem.

Hope I helped and not hurt!

Ryan

someone correct me if im wrong, but there is no socket 478 motherboard with PCI-E... you will also need a new CPU either AMD64 or Intel LG775.

look at my post in your old thread, i just posted in it befor this one... the 128mb 6800 will out perform any 6600GT... you may wont to just go with a 6800 for now untill you get a hole new system. ther about $165 after rebate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom