New laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBMan

Daemon Poster
yea, well I was stupid when i was drinking liquids near my computer anyway..i'll admit that.

ok so i killed my 5 year old laptop the other day and obviously am shopping for a new one.

Just was curious on anyone's thoughts on this.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/e...295-321838-89315-1849082-1849083-3364286.html

mainly to be used for school, some business stuff and home use. vmware, more vmware once I find my stick of 512. I want to stay under the 700$ range if I can, I'm also trying to get some educational discounts through my schools. I really like it mainly because of the AMD 64 bit @ 2.2. I'm planning to dual boot xp pro 32 and xp pro 64 and possibly triple boot with vista business 32.

I really don't have much of a use for a fingerprint reader but I'll take it anyway. Don't need any office suite software(I'll be wiping the drive the second the package is opened anyway) as I have all the software I need on my server. My school has several different models of the NX/NC series from HP and i love them all, very lightweight and all seem to be high quality and pretty good performance, the last batch we got in fact were 6325s instead with the intel core duo.

any thoughts? suggesstions? everything appreciated.

If you COULD get a C2D model in the same price range and same specs, it would likely have a better battery life.

Why on earth would you want to TRIPLE boot between those 3, let alone on a 60Gig hard drive... that drive won't have too much room after the OS's are loaded and drivers are installed.... lol

thanks for the input i really appreciate it. I at first wanted the C2D, and i know anymore this doesn't matter AS much, but its 500 mhz difference, and these are preconfig'd models so I can't just say i want this and that, cuz it'll cost me 300$ more and i can't afford that right now.

Hello,

The HP nx6325 notebook models are excellent. Good ratings all round, mainly for it's tactile keyboard, good quality build, quiteness and long battery life.

But you'll only get long battery life with a mobile processor, which the one you mention HP Compaq nx6325 (RM158UT) does not have.

Don't get this one (HP nx6325 RM158UT) because it has an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ processor, which is a desktop processor. You won't advantage from this because it will consume more power and run hotter, meaning the battery life will not be good. If you're going to get a model with an AMD processor, make sure that it is an AMD Turion, which is a mobile processor. But it will cost more of course.

I am also a student, and I went laptop shopping this month after refunding a faulty Acer AMD Turion 64 laptop. I purchased the HP nx7300 RU452ET model with a Celeron M 430 1.73Ghz processor instead. Since I'm in the UK, I can't find the exact same model number on the US site, but I found one with the same processor:

HP Compaq nx7300 (RM131UT)

It was either the nx6325 with AMD Turion processor at a higher cost, or the nx7300 with a widescreen, lower cost, but with a 'budget' processor. I stand by my choice. The HP nx7300 RM131UT is only $659 on the HP US website.

Good build, tactile keyboard, quiet. Adequate performance for student tasks. The speakers are outstanding producing very good bass, good clarity and powerful (better than Apple macbook speakers).

Although it's a Celeron M 430 processor, it is based on the Yonah Core Solo CPU. Difference is half the L2 cache (at 1MB) and not Enhanced SpeedStep technology...but it is still capable of throttling to save power.

Battery life is 2.5 hours with the 6 cell 4000mAh battery that comes with the nx7300 in question, and lasts 3.75 hours with an 8-cell 4800mAh battery which is what I use (based on word processing, surfing the net and playing MP3s).

Also, because the chipset is an Intel i945GM/PM chipset, you can manually upgrade the CPU to a Core Solo, Core Duo or Core 2 Duo in the future (which is what I will do). An added bonus, since prices will fall as time moves forward. Upgrading the CPU is straight forwards and only involves the removal of the keyboard (since the heatsink and CPU directly beneath it).

hey guys thanks for the replies, they're really appreciated, unfortunately HP never even had this in stock(i called them on the phone and they don't even give their phone sales reps more information than they put on their website which imo is really pathetic) anyway, I ordered a Dell Latitude 131L with an AMD turion 64 X2 T50 @ 1.6 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 80 gig Drive, XP Pro, 15.4 " Widescreen, 256 MB ATI Video, DVD-RW. Really didn't want the widescreen but its what I could afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom