new keyboard. ps2 vs usb

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
I'm gonna be buying a new keyboard soon. Are there any drawbacks to getting a ps2 port keyboard vs. a USB keyboard? Because on my friend's computer, whenever you hold down 3 or more keys, the computer does that beeping noise and it can't process the 3rd key. Is that due to it being PS2?

Thats normal, at least for every PS2 keyboard I've used. And to my understanding, USB keyboards dont beep like that and you can press 3 or more keys at once. If I'm wrong correct me.

ummm i use a PS2 Key board and i can press 3 or more buttons at onece and no beep, only some keys do

Thats impossible. Something must be wrong with your friend's keyboard or pc.
PS\2 sockets only transmit data through 1 pin.
The other three are clock, power and ground.
Yes, as you can see only 4 or the 6 pins are utilized.
They other pins become utilized when you diasy chain devices such as mouse->keyboard.
How do you explain CTRL+ALT+DEL.
Or crouching and moving forward with strafe.

Each key has a set of binary codes which are then converted to a hex value.
Lets say you hold a key down.
The hold key code will be added to the entered key and transmitted and decoded by the pc.
If this were compared to wireless protocols, than it would be close to TDMA.

USB offers a full duplex of data with 2 data connectors instead of transmitting everything on one wire....therefore there is also faster data transfer and better response....just like CDMA.
Also, its PNP, and can support non keyboard devices like lcds(i've seen a keyboard with an lcd on it.)

To use a USB keyboard...you will need to configure your board to handle a USB keyboard or you computer may no boot.

USB mice offer similar pros and cons

Well I've noticed at least with my <-- arrow it doesnt work when I use 2 other keys with it. So I cant move forward left and jump, but forward right and jump works. Does that mean my PS/2 KB is fubar?

So basically, just go for USB then? I'm using USB now, but I saw a pretty nice keyboard that's only PS2. Anyway, there's nice USB one too obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom