New here, looking for build opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

James_78

Baseband Member
Hi all, was hunting around, and this looked like a good place to ask some questions!

I am looking to build a gaming/gen. purpose/budget PC for the family room. I have already ordered a raidmax case (500 watt atx) and 4gb DDR2 1066 ram.

I have a few scenarios from here that I am considering...

A: 790gx board and a Phenom processor. (and sometime in the next year or so, crossfire a HD4870 or better video card)

B: 790gx board, Athlon 64 X2 processor, and crossfire a HD4830 or something in the $120 price range.

C: 790fx board, athlon 64 X2 processor, and hd4830 video card.

I'm leaning towards B, because I think I'll get the best gaming performance from that initial setup - - Any thoughts on these options?

Also, is a SATA HDD necessary for newer generation games?

Thanks

Go with B but instead of crossfiring 4830's. It would be a much wiser decision to get a single 4850 instead. Since the 4850's are under $200 in the states I don't see why you would go with a 4830 crossfire setup instead.

If the 4870 will be $200 within the next 60 days. Then I would wait it out until the price drop takes place.

From the looks of things I might give my 4830's to my little brothers and get a 4870 instead.

I've been reading more, and it looks like you can't crossfire the on-board 3300 with something like a 4850/70.... Looking more and more like I should go with the 790FX instead of GX.

Yes, but I am trying to stay within $300 for MB/CPU/GPU; however... I always start out looking low, and end up spending 2 times that amount ( I was initially trying to spend around $200 for MB/CPU w/ integrated graphics).

Ohhh -- nice find! I'm looking at doing this late Jan/earlyFeb, so there should be deals at least as good as some of these when the AM3's come out.

I drink PBR in 1/2 barrels, so I'd have to quit drinking for almost 2 weeks to save $30. Probably not going to happen :D

I estimate I have spent around £160 on drink so far in a fortnight and most of its gone just got 8 beers, 12 magners and 500ml of vodka. Unfortunately I lack the powers of foresight but heard rumours that nvidias bringing out a new gfx card and with the advent of I7 the market should move about quite alot by next year even if its only 3 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom