New Hard Drive Questions and Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairfieldfalconsfan

In Runtime
My Dad has a PC that he needs a larger HD for. The current one is almost full and he is looking for a new one that is at least 1 TB in size. His computer uses SATA. The old hard drive (80 GB) would be put in another PC for storing music that is quickly eating up that PC's hard drive space.

One issue I have is that Dad's PC has a HD bracket that only holds one HD but I may just set the other in the bottom of the case hooked up with the cables until it is done cloning (I am probably going to get the molex-to-SATA power cable and another SATA data cable locally).I would be using Maxtor Maxblast to clone the old HD to the new one. I am pretty sure it will work because the hard drive he is using now is Seagate brand.

Now to the question. Dad wants to spend around $50-60 on the hard drive and I was planning to get it from Newegg on their Black Friday/Pre Black Friday sales. So I got an promo email from Newegg about a sale so I went to look at it. It had a listing of a 1 TB Western Digital HD for $54.99. I went to the product page and saw it was the Green line from WD. This speed (5400 RPM) wouldn't really be an issue as Dad just does light Photo-shop work and music/picture editing and some document work. Then I looked at the reviews (which I don't entirely trust) and there were a bunch of bad ones about it failing. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this HD or any problems with it?

Then today I saw that the sale that starts tomorrow on Newegg has a 2 TB HD for $70 but there weren't any details about the brand. My Dad said he would probably be willing to spend the extra $15 to double the size. Once the sale is going I may put the details on that HD on here.

Here is a link to the currently active sale: Newegg.com - Pre-Black Friday Sale: Nab these deals before the mad rush! The HD is in the top row on the far right.

Here is the page for the 1 TB HD for sale: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I basically need to know if it is a good hard drive to get. I would like to get either Seagate or Western Digital brand if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Not to rain on anybody's parade but Seagates really aren't that great. I have one and don't really like it. I am sure some people disagree but if you can avoid it get a Hitachi or a Western Digital.

Yea my first pick is Hitachi. The Western Digital greens are bad because they lie about the RPM usually, the blacks are good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom