New hard drive, considering options

danhodge

In Runtime
Hey guys, its been a while... :)

So, I am about to get a new 1TB hard drive, and Windows 7 64bit to upgrade to on that hard drive.
I was wondering whether I could keep the games installed on my current 500gb hard drive, and run them off that, instead of wiping that drive and having to reinstall everything.

I have about 300gb of games installed on there, and I have terrible internet, so redownloading them all will take a hell of a long time. Any way around it would be swell ;)

The hard drive they are on is Vista 32 bit, which is why I am unsure if they will remain playable (32bit and 64bit stuff don't seem to get along much). In case you were wondering, I wont be using a RAID setup, so that wont get in the way.

Thanks a lot, and if you need any other info then go ahead and ask :)
Danny

Yes you can keep your games installed on the 500GB drive, but, most likely, you will have to re-install the games. The game settings might have the drive letter somewhere, so you probably won't be able to just plug it in and play like nothing happened.

Yes you can keep your games installed on the 500GB drive, but, most likely, you will have to re-install the games. The game settings might have the drive letter somewhere, so you probably won't be able to just plug it in and play like nothing happened.

Unless they're through Steam or Origin. No need to reinstall them in that case. Just have to point Steam to the alternate directory as this is what I do.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

Unless they're through Steam or Origin. No need to reinstall them in that case. Just have to point Steam to the alternate directory as this is what I do.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums
Some games on Origin require to be redownloaded like Shift 1 and 2. BF3 works fine, and so does Deadspace.

So the fact that the games were installed on a 32 bit OS doesn't matter? I'm pretty sure some of my software wont work, but I wasn't sure about the games.

Yeah, its all Steam and Origin. I kind of expected Steam to have this functionality, but definitely not Origin.

Thanks!

So the fact that the games were installed on a 32 bit OS doesn't matter? I'm pretty sure some of my software wont work, but I wasn't sure about the games.

Yeah, its all Steam and Origin. I kind of expected Steam to have this functionality, but definitely not Origin.

Thanks!
Doesn't matter.

All Steam games will work. Just most likely will give another install prompt. Origin you'll have to show the program where the installed games folder is then restart it. After that, try clicking on them. The ones that download or give an error can't be moved like that and the rest will just say installing then work.

Back
Top Bottom