New guts/old case/will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirLucian

Beta member
I apologize for not reading the stickied topics. My computer is just barely puttering into this topic and I need to get some assistance on this before it stops puttering. o_O (NOTE: it is in fact making obnoxious noises)

First off, I'm not new to computers in general I am simply new to the whole hardware scene. Never built anything of my own before.

I have a VERY short budget and as such I sought help from newegg to get my computer parts.

I currently own a Dell Dimension 2400 system, bought in 04'...

I want to gut this case and reuse it with new components.

This is the list of components I have chose...

MOTHERBOARD: Newegg.com - ASUS M3A78 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

POWER SUPPLY: Newegg.com - Sunbeam RGPS-450W 450Watts ATX Power Supply - Power Supplies

RAM: Newegg.com - OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail (The Official Memory of the Championship Gaming Series) - Desktop Memory

HARDDRIVE: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JB 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

VIDEO CARD: Newegg.com - PNY VCG96512GXEB GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

CD/RW: Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM SATA Combo - CD / DVD Burners

DVD/RW:
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

So, I have two questions:

1) Will that list all work together and hook up right inside the Dimension case? (as per best guess as the case goes, I am unsure of connectors on whether it's simply a generic type or not)

2) Is that everything I need?

The tower is the only thing I need to replace and the case/fans are fine.

The harddrive is dying,
the on board graphics unit is not powerful enough anymore,
I've upgraded my ram twice and it's still not enough,
my cd/dvd drives are both rather cheap and don't work half the time,
the processor isn't up to scratch with most requirements given the rest of the system...

So, please, if you can tell me if those are all compatible parts and should theoretically work (I can find a bigger case if need be I suppose) that would be AMAZING!

Again, I apologize, I'm new to hardware and my computer took a decent while to load anything, it's running at low low low right now.
So I couldn't read through through stickies, constantly moving through posts. (my computer has been stating I have too much stuff going on and will close my browser on occasion if it doesn't lock up first)

So please please please, I will love you all forever!

Thanks you.

--Lucian

Dell cases are hard to work with. And NO WAY a 9600GT will fit in it, sorry.

Here's parts for a complete build for a similar price and better performance:

Newegg.com - XION Solaris XON-403 Black with Green LED Light Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
-Xion case with Green LEDs

Newegg.com - Foxconn G31MV-K LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
-Foxconn G31 Intel Motherboard (A bit old technology, but it should be fine as long as you don't plan on overclocking or if you don't upgrade a lot)

Newegg.com - Antec Basiq BP-350B 350W ATX12V Version 2.01 Power Supply - Power Supplies
-Antec Basiq 350w PSU

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
-Intel E5200 CPU

Newegg.com - OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail (The Official Memory of the Championship Gaming Series) - Desktop Memory
-4 GB OCZ Ram as you picked

Newegg.com - LG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner w/ SecurDisc Tech - CD / DVD Burners
-LG DVD Burner

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
-Seagate 160GB SATA hdd- Much faster than the one you chose, and twice the space for 5 bucks more.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R467D3-512I Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
-Gigabyte HD 4670 512mb GPU

Comes to like 360 before shipping and Mail in rebates. Definitely worth the extra cash. Better parts in general, and it will give you solid performance, and it will last.

-Intel > AMD at this point in time.
-IDE is old school. SATA has replaced it.
-ATI graphics cards have better bang for the buck in lower price ranges.
-Antec makes quality power supplies, while Sunbeam is not known for making good ones. You never want a crummy power supply.

Wow, actually it comes out to about the same with some of the free shipping and rebates that pop around.

Given I may have to wait on the case a bit longer bit I'm pretty sure I can put stuff off for a couple extra weeks.

That does look like a good build, plus I love the idea of having a new case. <3

I have blunder. (apologies)
I forgot to mention (and it would seem the mother board won't fit my needs)

I have a sound card and a wireless internet card in my current PC.
So I need a motherboard that is compatible and whatnot but has two pci slots.

Is that possible under the current configuration?

It has one PCI slot, which I recommend putting the wireless card in, and just don't use that sound card. You won't really notice much of a difference between the integrated sound and the sound card unless you have a very high quality pair of headphones and/or microphone. And even then, you still won't notice a difference unless you're doing seious sound or video editing. It really won't make a difference just listening to music or in games.

PCI Express based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard, 400 Watt or greater power supply (550 Watt for ATI CrossFireX technology in dual mode) is recommended
From Sapphire's description of their version.

You may want to bump up the PSU another 50W or so.

And even then, you still won't notice a difference unless you're doing seious sound or video editing.

I am actually doing music editing/mixing/recording and I was preparing to get video editing software and delve into that. >.>
Otherwise I wouldn't bother too much, like you said, not too much of a difference. But I do actually do that stuff.

You may want to bump up the PSU another 50W or so.

If I have a box that is over what the needed wattage is it won't blow up or anything right? Last I looked I couldn't find a good 400w box so I had previously looked into 450w.

Alright, then I suppose I may go 500w.

Now I just need to find a good motherboard.
I know there are some other good sites other than newegg. Any recommendations on where to look?

And what exactly is needed in a good motherboard?
I know what to look for like, I'm not throwing an AMD processor on an intel chipset motherboard or anything. =P
But, for this kind of set up (the list recommended to me) is there a specific brand/type that is a better buy/better in general as opposed to the rest?

But like, how do I know if it's a good buy and whatnot?

research is really the only way to know if what you want is what you are getting, and if it is a good deal. what would be a good deal to me may not be to you.

Given that build I just need a motherboard with 2 pci slots instead of 1.

I mean, my main goal is to build a computer for less than $400. Which apparently seems quite possible for a decent machine that will last me out a good few more years.

Now, this build would work assuming that theoretically my computer will connect correctly to my router with a cable (my current machine freaked out and wouldn't do it)
But to be on the same side I would rather have all my options open.

So, banking on the fact that I can't afford to screw up this build and have something not fit together right, I am just kind of trying to find the best computer I can squeeze out for $400...

With that in mind...

Just as a best guess I looked and saw this motherboard, it is meant to pair up with the above mentioned intel processor.
Newegg.com - SUPERMICRO MBD-C2SEA-O LGA 775 Intel G45 HDMI ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Decently more expensive than the other one but has the extra pci slot(s).
Do you imagine this would function well enough with the previous specs?

Given I found a 450w antec power supply in replacement of the 350w.

So, I'm just trying to make sure I've got this down and everything, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom