new graphics card for old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tojo64

Beta member
I am looking for a new graphics card for my desktop, but am still somewhat unsure about which one would be good for me. Here is my computer info:

Product information Compaq Presario SR1603WM Desktop PC

I pretty much just want the best bang for the buck here. I don't want to spend very much money on it, maybe no more than $50. I definitely want it to be better than what I have though. I also want it to be able to support dual monitors. Also, I would like to upgrade cards without having to upgrade my psu. That's really about it. I don't do any gaming. The only thing worth mentioning is that I use graphic programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, and Corel. They seem to work alright on my current card so that may not even be an issue. Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I think you are much better off saving for a new PC build altogether.
Those specs on that site show that the current GFX card is integrated so your motherboard may not have any PCI-E slots to put a new card in anyway?

Thanks for the feedback. I have my memory slots filled up (4gb). I have 3 PCI slots and 1 PCIe slot. I would like a new computer, but I don't see me having the extra cash for a new one any time soon. Really the only reason I would like to get a new card is so I can have dual monitors. I already have an extra monitor to use, so I was hoping to find a good deal on a card to hold them both.

I understand it is much better, but I don't really need it for games or anything. I don't necessarily need a higher end card. As long as it is better than my stock integrated graphics, it will get me dual monitors, and I don't have to upgrade my psu, I am fine with it.

I was looking around and found this one. It is affordable, and seems to be just fine for what I need it to do.

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100261L Radeon HD 2400PRO 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Thanks

The 9500 GT is not a gaming card. As it was explained to me, in NVidia's naming, x600-x800 are the gaming cards, and x300-x500 are generally for media or light gaming.

Also, to judge quality of the card I'm going off of this table:

Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart : Best Video Cards For The Money: Dec '08

The 9500GT is four levels above the 4350, and the 4350 is a level above the 2400pro. I'd say the difference of 5 levels is worth the extra $20, but of course that's up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom