New Gaming PC - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrocide

Baseband Member
Hi there,

First post and I'm heading into my first complete ground up gaming PC build (purely for gaming, have a laptop for school) and I'd like some input into what I have selected as my PC. Just a few things about my style and what I'm needing this PC for. I play FPS (Team Fortress 2, Unreal 3, CoD4 etc) mostly, second is MMO (City of Villains, WaR [when it comes out]) and then I play a bit of soloing in RTS type games. I do a bit of playing around with RPG types once in a while too. I do a lot of music compilation and making CDs for friends and parties; ie. make a quick playlist, burn fast, get in car, and go to the party type. I have a Xerox 900P 18in monitor that im not changing (best lookin monitor that I have ever owned, it was also made by Xerox...so cool :p ) A friend of mine, whos helped me a lot along the way into the PC gaming world, is a PC overtopper - meaning 6x Raptor X's into a RAID 1+0, water cooling etc. Oh, and also, im an ASUS fanatic, haven't had a single problem with any of the ASUS products I've used so far. Im just wanting to be able to play the top games at lan parties nothing else. Anyhoo, onto my new build. Most of this is done off of Newegg; whether I buy it from them or not is depending on the price. Speaking of price, my limit is roughly $1500. Going for max air flow keeping it cooled without needing water-cooling tech. And I dont OC unless I buy it factory OC'd (not a computer guru like some)

Case - Xcilo Windtunnel
MB - ASUS P5N-D
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
RAM - OCZ SLI-Ready Edition Only 1....for now
GPU - ASUS GeForce GTX 260 Again, only 1....for now
PSU - Antec EA650 650W - after reading a bit of the forum before I posted this, I'm beginning to think that I might have to up the PSU. Help?
Internal HD (opt 1) - WD Caviar SE 160GB SATA 3.0
Internal HD (opt 2) - WD Raptor 74GB SATA 1.5 Both options of HDs have two set up in RAID 0.
SoundCard - ASUS Xonar D1 7.1
CD/DVD Drive - LG Black 20X DVD+R
OS - Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium-OEM - As much as I hate it, I must switch eventually because of Vista only games.
Speakers - Logitech G51

Extras

External HD – WD My Passport 250GB For media and movies and backup since RAID 0 doesn't have the greatest security.

With using opt 1 for the HD choice it will be around $1400 priced from newegg.com.

I do have a few questions though.
1. Since I'm just getting into the reports of DDR3 vs DDR2 and that, since my motherboard is DDR2 supported and my GPU is DDR3, will there be a conflict or will it not work or is it nothing to worry about?
2. Is it worth SLI'ing the GeForce 260 now or should I be ok until my wallet can recover from the stroke it had from dropping $1400 on it?
3. For a pure gaming PC is duo or quad the better option, my PC friends all suggested that duo will do just fine for gaming?

Any suggestions on optimizing performace, lowering the cost a bit without takin a HUGE drop etc. Thanks.

-Tony

PS sorry for the long read and OCD version of the list. :p

1. There will be no conflict between your RAM and your video RAM. I run DDR2 ram with DDR5 video.

2. Just the one GeForce 260 will do you just fine for the time being, if you want to SLi in the future than you still have that option.

3. Duo's are still performing well for today's games, but the day will come soon when the Quad will prove more beneficial for gaming. So you can go cheap with the duo, or future proof your self with the quad.

Other people will help you out with your parts

So quad-core is basically the Vista equivalent of the CPU....just dandy. Heh

Thanks for the input on the Ram and GPU questions. Much appreciated.

Change the 260 to a 4870.

Dual/Quad doesn't matter, personal preference really, but the E8 series are faster (look at the E8500).

Change the RAM to this: Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

SLI Ready is a gimmick and there is no such thing as "SLI ready" RAM, all RAM is SLI ready.

Look at this motherboard: Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

or if you want something a bit cheaper that's just as good: Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Change the power supply to this: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

or if you want something cheaper (you can still crossfire with this): Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Do you really want to RAID? 10,000RPM drives aren't that great, and Western Digital make some really fast 7200RPM's.

Also you will need the 64 bit version of Vista for 4 gig of RAM+, get Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

Ok so Im going with a few of the choices of Red and now like the RAM change and the E8 CPU. Im going with his suggestion of the ASUS board since I love ASUS. Also changing the the PSU to the Corsair 750.

I do have a few other questions. Since my case is meant for massive air flow, I am in need of a 25cm fans, anyone know where to buy them online or in Dallas, TX area. I also need a heatsink and possibly fan combo for my CPU. Any suggestions?

Oh and im also changing to 64 bit.

Ok so basically takin what I got suggested to me from here and what my friend is suggesting this is what I'm planning on getting over the weekend. I am in desperate need of a new computer to play Warhammer Online. Is there anything in my computer that I can go without until i can convince the GF to left me drop another $700+ on my card? or even a cheaper GPU that I can SLI later that will suit me just as well until i get the 260 or even top of the line when I buy it - I'd rather not use ATI and the nVidia Series 9 sucks from what I've read. But I'm not sure. Also, something I forgot to add what I plan on doing with this computer. I plan on running Debian 4.0 as a dual-boot system. I'm pretty sure I will be fine but with the new SLI board and duo-core CPU I would just like to make sure I'll be ok. Thanks.

Im assuming the sound card is not really needed at this point. But anything other than the extras i can go without?

Case - Xcilo Windtunnel $139.00
MB - ASUS P5Q Pro $139.99
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz $189.00
CPU Heatsink/Fan – ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro $24.99
RAM - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition $82.99 Only 1....for now
GPU - ASUS GeForce GTX 260 $269.99 Again, only 1....for now
PSU - Corsair CMPSU-750TX $129.99
Internal HDs - WD Caviar SE 160GB SATA 3.0 $41.99 x 2
SoundCard - ASUS Xonar D1 7.1 $89.99
CD/DVD Drive - LG Black 20X DVD+R $24.99
OS - Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium-OEM $99.99

Completed game playable total: $1274.90

Extras
250mm Fans – 250mm Green $18.95 x 2
120mm Fans – Antec 120mm Green $14.99 x 2
Speakers - Logitech G51 $109.99
External HD – WD My Passport 250GB $97.99
GPU - ASUS GeForce GTX 260 $269.99
RAM - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition $82.99

Extras to eventually buy totoal: $628.84

Grand Total w/ no tax, no discounts (instant or MIRs), no S&H cost = $1903.74

EDIT: Im playing on Modheim (sp?) and Badlands Destruction in WAR.

Ok so let me ask this then. If say I get this MB knowing it wont be SLI compatible, when I finally upgrade my GPU to the 260 or top of the line for the time (probably 280 or better) will that GPU last long enough for me to recover to build a new computer without having any problems with the high end games? Or even the P5N-D Asus board. BTW I dont care for ATI, have had too many friends tell me horror stories of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom