new to gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunnerboy29

Beta member
I got a hp desktop model p7 1003wb. It has a crappy graphic card and I was wondering if I can get a aftermarket card and if so can I get more ram for it and a bigger processor. New to gaming computers. Any help would be great thanks.

You do not need to get more RAM. 8GB is plenty.

What PSU wattage do you have? Need to open the case and look at the sticker on the PSU.
^ That.
Your CPU should be fine as well, don't think you'll see a huge improvement from an Athlon II X4 650 to a Phenom II X4 9##.

I'll go out on a limb and say you'll probably need to upgrade the power supply, pre-built computers don't usually leave much headroom in that department.

Also, what is your budget?

just what every i feel like spending dont really have a budget. i've been working alot of overtime lol

I'll preempt this by saying: measure your case/components first to make sure parts will fit.

I read on the HP forums that someone fit a 3.4"x5.9"x5.5" power supply into the P7-1003.
The PSUs below are 3.4"x5.9"x6.3", make sure you have the extra space.

The video cards are going to be 10"-11.5" depending, measure from the back of the case to whatever you run in to, probably the metal cage in the front.

$95 : Corsair TX650 V2 (-$25 MiR)
$90 : OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w (-$30 MiR)

$500 : EVGA Superclocked GTX 580 (-$20 MiR)
$350 : EVGA Superclocked GTX 570
$350 : XFX HD 6970 (-$20 MiR)
$290 : Sapphire HD 6950 (-$20 MiR)

This is to give you an idea of price, these are the more top-end choices.
Either of the PSUs will power any of the cards.
I looked specifically at cards that would vent out of the case since I don't think air-flow is too good inside.

*Edit - Guide to replacing your PSU:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02906500&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=5098942

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom