New External Hard Drive Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrcorwin

Beta member
I have just purchased a new external burner and a new external hard drive. My question relates to the hard drive. It is for my laptop, which currently has a 80GB hard drive. The new external is 320GB.

I want to transfer most of my files to the new external (such as photos, mp3Â’s, DVD backups, and games). My only question relates to installed programs which I may want to move to the new hard drive....

If I want to move a program, which is already installed, can I just move it? Or will it cause problems because it is no longer in the same place as where it was installed? Would it help if after moving everything aroundÂ…if I ran registry mechanic? Would that Â…sort of point things in the right direction or not really help at all. I want to avoid uninstalling and reinstalling everything. Thank you!

You can move the programs and all the files but if you ever copy them back to a HD with an Operating system on it, the registry entries won't be there, therefore the program may not work correctly or it may not work at all, its best to copy over the setup/install file instead of the whole program folder.

I never did it, so I wouldn't know if registry mechanic would fix it, you can always try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom