New Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I've got the family desktop that I'm currently having problems with (Thread in software section), and my laptop that is decent for games, but nothing special. However with this second year of university coming up, I need to be able to separate university work from any games I play, meaning I'm going to need a completely separate desktop so I don't end up on games when I should be revising. >.<

My current laptop:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T6600
Motherboard: Acer JV50 with Intel PM45 chipset
RAM: 4 Gig / Dual Channel / DDR3 SDRAM / @ 533.3Mhz / PC3-8500
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 / M924
Monitor: AUO B156XW01
HDD: Toshiba MK3263GSX / 320GB
Wireless: Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN

This runs all the games I play quite smoothly, but I don't really play any intensive high-end games. Football Manager, Dawn of War, Guild Wars when I've got a desktop, Age of Empires.... And that's all of the top of my head. Empire: Total War and Hearts of Iron III.

I need a desktop that can play those pretty much, and something that I'm not going to have to improve or buy a new one. Don't need high end or top specs, as long as it'll last at least 3 years minimum. An operating system isn't necessary since I'll be buying one from a student website for the family desktop, that I can install on more than 1 PC.

I know someone who can put a computer together for me, but I'll need to factor in between £30 and £50. If there are any decent computers pre-built that you can find, great, if not, I'll ask around and see who can put it together for me for cheap.

Budget is £500, though I can stretch that if there is an amazing offer on for something. Top end budget is £800 if there is something that is like, a must have for the price.

I leave my new computer in your capable hands!

~ Smack :)

Edit: Can't buy the computer till the 20th of September if it goes over £500 due to income. Also, my cousin should be moving down from Newcastle, so can probably get him to build it for me fingers crossed. And I'm UK based too if you didn't pick that up from the pounds instead of dollars. ^_^

Ahh someone from manchester like me :D If you're stuck for someone to build you this rig I'll happily do it for ya. Nice to meet you mate.

- Josh

Also, is it worth moving from an X4 to a X6?

Only for bragging rights. Unless you are using something that can actually utilize the extra cores or you multi-task like crazy it won't really give a big benefit.

Its what trotter said, 6 cores are for bragging and multi tasking, there are very few programs out even today that fully utilize 4 cores let alone even considering 6, and quad core processors have been out for over 2 years now. if your a gamer your GPU is the most important componet of your build it is where you want to spend your money. Almost any motherboard will be able to handle gpus coming out in the near future. Now you said you wanted a budget build and you wanted longetivity i would highly recomend you look at overclocking for this reason, you can save some money by buying lower specs on your cpu and over clock it to get better preformance... i.e. its more bang for your buck. Even the guys here who spend top dollar on their rigs they all over clock their top of the line componets

Fair enough then. X4 it is! I don't multi-task heavily often enough to warrant using anything more than an X4 really.

Apart from that, anyone with a build for me, or a list of components that work together so I can compare prices? £500 was the budget, but I can stretch to £800 if it'll give me a minimum of 3 years without having to upgrade. Or is the build Yami suggested originally still the best around for money?

So been speaking to IPROtechman, or whatever his forum name is, and this is the current build he recommends:

TehBaby.png

This is the bargain Motherboard he chose.And this is the recommended case.

Good/Bad? Any recommendations to improve it? Budget can stretch to up to £800, though I'd rather keep it cheaper than that to be honest.

That motherboard is crap. You will be limited to two DIMMs of either DDR2 or DDR3 and Nvidia's chipsets are no longer all that great for AMD. It would be a waste of your investment. Go with a decent board that will give you great performance, ASUS M4A785T-M 785G (x6 ready).
ASUS M4A785T-M 785G Socket AM3 DVI VGA HDMI Out 8.. | Ebuyer.com

Cases are personal taste.

yeah I told him the motherboard would work with the X6 and DDR3 Ram ( I have it) But in the long run he'd be better off getting a new chipset, I reccomended this: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H 890GX Socket AM3 HDMI DVI VGA.. | Ebuyer.com

That board would give him the most futureproof PC atm, SATA, USB3 etc..

The case i reccomended was : Silverstone Precision PS04B Midi Tower All Black Gaming Case - Aria Technology

He doesn't want anything fancy, that case is good for the price + good for cooling.

Also, I told him to get a GTX 460 as it seems faster than the 5770. But both cards are good, I suppose if he got the 5770 he could XF another one in that board at a later date ^.

PSU i chose is also 700W so when he decides to put another card in, or a beefier card he will have plenty of room for expansion, Thus saving him money in the long run. :]

Also could save more money by getting a board that you can unlock cores with and get this CPU:

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition 3.2GHz Socket AM3.. | Ebuyer.com

Essentially being a Phenom X4 955 if your lucky. On reviews alot of people have unlocked it :).

Or you could just get a AMD Athlon X4 630/635, But you was pretty adamant you wanted a X6 :p.

I'll be ****** if I'm not having my X6. I haven't realised till this morning how much multi-tasking I actually do at once, so it'll be handy.

A case is a case. I don't care if my computer looks ****, as long as it does it's job to be honest. So the plain black case is great. Don't want flash LED crap, or loud fan noises to be honest.

Highly doubt I'll ever really get a beefier card, or crossfire to be honest, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry by buying a lower wattage PSU.

I'll be ****** if I'm not having my X6. I haven't realised till this morning how much multi-tasking I actually do at once, so it'll be handy.

A case is a case. I don't care if my computer looks ****, as long as it does it's job to be honest. So the plain black case is great. Don't want flash LED crap, or loud fan noises to be honest.

Highly doubt I'll ever really get a beefier card, or crossfire to be honest, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry by buying a lower wattage PSU.

Well, essentially it's up to you what you do mate. I'm still happy to build it for you, whatever you choose. I'd go with the build I got you but opt for that gigabyte motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom