New Computer for Vernong!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
any one of those will bottleneck two of those cards. use the example above, about the increase in cpu clock versus increase in gpu clock.
its a massive card. and two of them would probably give any quad core pause.

i also have 2 x512 mb sticks of pc3200 ddr400.

and nagasama, i think the opteron will handle it fine. The only bottlenecking you will see would be in benchmarking and even then it still will be pretty high. Im shooting for over 11,000 in 3dmark06 with one card and over 15,000 in SLI. I dont think you will notice a decrease in gaming. But i know what you mean. It wont perform nearly as well as the C2Ds, and thats expected. but, i still will get some nasty performance. ;)

my new system won't be til August of next year.. plus.. they want a new PC anyways.. so I'll be getting it..

i mean your opteron will not be able to run both of those cards without bottlenecking them.
it will run one pretty darn good, but even then it is the weak point in the equation. no offense, my 3600 is my weak point...its just the way it is.
to put it into perspective, look at it like this...
in 3dmark (yes i know its a bunk example) you get a certain score. as you overclock your cpu, your score goes up. but, you reach the point where your cpu will not clock any higher. but, if it could, your score would continue to go up (ie the card would begin to use the resouces availible to it). ya feel me? this is one reason why you may not see a big difference in your score if you overclock your CARD. but, if you overclock your cpu, the difference is massive.

That's a dangerous way to look at bottlenecking. In this case, even a QX9650 will bottleneck any video card. What you're actually seeing is solely your CPU score in 3DMark go up, and hence, your overall score in 3DMark goes up. Just because your score goes up once you overclock doesn't mean you're un-bottlenecking your graphics card! I've gone over this before. Trust me, that Opteron will NOT bottleneck the graphics card. It MIGHT run a little slow on CPU-bound games but most games aren't anyway. There'd have to be a decent gap in age between your CPU and GPU before you notice any real bottlenecking.

Back on topic, I'd donate something, but the only spare part I have is a super crappy Aopen Sound card that's not worth the shipping. When I make my new build I'll order something cool for you, but not too expensive. Maybe an HSF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom