New Computer: Questions and Suggestions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2005, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default New Computer: Questions and Suggestions

I'm building a new computer, and I have some questions regarding the combination of parts I've put together. My first question is should I expect any bottle necking with this setup. After I list the main jist of it, I'm going to be requesting suggestions on the video card, so the bottle necking may/may not differ from card to card.

The first three listed products are going to be built from This website is a good one, and I get a good amount of free stuff (including hl2) when I purchase an Athlon 64 combo. I'm buying from here since I'll get the most for the least amount of money. The three components I'm building on that website are priced equally on so I'm posting links to them there.

Hard Drive:
Best Buy is running a sale on 80gig WD 7200

Buying a case here in town, mid tower atx

Power Supply:

Optical Drive(s):

Video Card:
I'm going to list a few cards. My video performance requirements are solely to be able to run all of the new end games such as hl2, doom3, quake4 at good frames on low details.

The last card listed has pretty good reviews written about it. It beats a 6600gt 128 in gameplay, and it can be easily overclocked, quite well for that matter. Again, I only need to be able to get consistently high (100) frames on low details, probably with aa/af if it's playable like that. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Ok are you overclocking or not? If you are then get one of these motherboards instead:

If you aren't overclocking then you don't need to go with the low timing OCZ ram; Corsair Value ram will do you fine.

Also for the graphics card, I would suggest this:
or one of these:

I wouldn't go with one of the ATi cards at the moment, because Nvidia's 6 and 7 series provide much better performance at a slightly cheaper price. Btw you won't be playing those games on low detail, you'll be able to run them on HIGH detail

Old 09-30-2005, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I've never overclocked memory before, but since I've started building this new system, I've become interested. My only goals with this new system is to be upgradable in the long run and be able to play the newer end games smoothly. Like I said, high details are not an essential, I am not a detail whore :P I prefer to play games such as quake III > now quake 4 more on colors, not flashy realistic looking clouds and such. And actually the motherboard you provided is one I was debating about getting for a whlie. It's either that one or the Asus I have provided. I'm still not sure. But anyways, if you think I can keep the same motherboard, and just get cheaper ram and still run the games smoothly on lower details, let me know.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Ok well if you're thinking about overclocking then i'd definitely recommend getting that DFI mobo; it overclocks better than the Asus, you'll have a lot less problems with it and it looks flashy :P Anyways, when it comes to performance, there won't be much of a performance increase by purchasing the OCZ ram over the Corsair ram. The advantages of buying the OCZ ram are its overclocking ability, as the Corsair ram will struggle to keep up with your processor when overclocked. So basically, if you're looking into overclocking, buy the OCZ. You'll get a more future-proof system by buying 2gb of value ram, rather than 1gb of low timing ram, so basically, it's up to you..
Closed Thread