New Computer Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xx_InSaNe_xX

Baseband Member
[I just noticed this should be in the high performance thread, sorry]

I am building a new computer expressly for gaming! I want it to run doom 3 (and any other game) on max settings with no problem with it wanting more! Some multi-tasking power would also be nice. I need suggestions/advice/etc... on the parts and software I have already chosen. Any suggestions please link to newegg only. I plan to overclock and to use fan only cooling. Thanks!

Motherboard: Was going to link "GIGABYTE GA-N680SLI-DQ6 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail", but it seems to have been removed. Maybe will buy elsewhere. Suggestions?
CPU: Link
CPU Cooling Fan: Help Here!
Case: TBA - Needs alot of fans (Suggestions?)
Video Card: Link
Sound Card: TBA
Power Supply: ??? (For MB, Video, etc... to have enough power) Help Here!
Hard Drive: Link
RAM: Waiting on MB to be chosen (Will be 1GB +)
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
CD/DVD/ETC Drive: TBA

If any of the above parts will not help me reach my goal (gaming, overclocking), please help. Thanks.

First off, I'd tell you to pretty much scrap everything you've been thinking so far :). Second, you didn't give a budget but by the parts you've chosen, I'll assume that it's pretty high.

Do not get an E6700 unless you feel generous enough to be giving free money to big corporations, in this case Intel. The E6700 will not give you any extra performance at all then the E6600 after overclocking. Save the $200 ($300 if you wait a couple weeks.)

That graphics card is a very weak choice. You can get much more performance for $160 but that's irrelevant since you will want something much more powerful. That card won't even max out Doom 3 let alone any newer games.

You don't really need a raptor for your hard drive. It's a waste of money really, especially for such a large one. If you really want a raptor, just get a 36 or 74GB one and get a big 7200.10 Seagate Barracuda. The speed difference is really negligible. And if you RAID0 two Barracudas, you'll even get faster speeds then a raptor while having a huge amount of storage.

Anyways.... Here are my suggestions:

CPU: There really is no other choice unless you want to save money or pay $1000 for a quad core but that is only for people who really like to waste money. E6600

Mobo: Lots of choices here. Either of these will overclock very well and all of them are pretty popular. Just depends on how much you want to spend really and if you want SLI or not. Gigabyte DS3 $120, Asus P5B Deluxe $180, Intel Bad Axe 2 $200 or so, eVGA 680 SLI $210 or so.

CPU Cooling Fan: The Tuniq Tower ($~60) is one of the best HSFs on the market.

Case: Personal preference and how much you want to spend are the biggest factors here but here are some that I like for what I would assume your budget is: Gigabyte 3D Aurora Original($130)/570($160), CoolerMaster Stacker 832 (the mother of all cases pretty much) $250, Antec P180 ($120), Antec 900 ($100), pretty much any Lian-Li etc..

Video card: The best you can get right now is the 8800GTX, about $550. If you don't want to pay that much, you can get the 8800GTS640MB for $340 or 8800GTS320MB for $260. I wouldn't go anything below that unless your budget is a lot lower then I assumed. Note that the new ATI cards should be releasing sometime in May as are new offering from nVidia.

Sound Card: X-Fi XtremeGamer. $50 right now from Newegg. Very good card for the price and a great deal for $50.

Power Supply: My favorite is the Corsair 620W which is about $150 from Newegg, $120 from ZipZoomFly. Will power anything pretty much even 8800GTX's in SLI if you really wanted to.

Hard Drive: Like I said, I don't think Raptors are worth it. I would just get Seagate Barracudas and if you want some more speed, buy two of them and put them in RAID0 (although if you have some really important files back them up as RAID0 doubles chance of data loss although you should be backing up important files anyway)

RAM: G.Skill 2GB (1gbx2) DDR2-800 HZ model. They are the black ones for about $180-190 from newegg. AMAZING RAM. These used to cost quite a bit more just recently.

OS: Why XP Home? No one gets Home nowadays. Get XP Pro if you don't want Vista.

CD/DVD: Not of much importance.. Any will do pretty much..

These parts will serve your purpose and much more.. Sorry no links.. Would've taken too long. If you can't find something, just let me know. All of these parts are available on Newegg.

Just my opinion..

Fluffles is right...please give us your total budget, what you will be using for it. We will be happy to guide you in the right direction as the above poster already has mostly.

Thanks, I will be looking at all your suggestions. The computer will be used for gaming 95% of the time. As for budget, I have plenty to spend. Post the best of the best for the ultimate gaming computer.

Fluffles: I noticed you said this will serve my purpose and much more. Your parts will max out doom 3, f.e.a.r, etc... and then some, right? I want the best (most expensive of each part i guess). Are what you posted just that?

That PSU is destroyed by this Hiper right here for 10 bucks more...I would never buy a Thermaltake PSU. Also with that card if her wanted he could use like a 350w PSU but since he needs an 8800GTS or so I would say to get this Hiper

Newegg.com - HIPER HPU-4K580-MS ATX12V v2.2 580W Power Supply 100 - 120V - Retail

For $1500 and it's gaming you are going to want a waaaay more powerful card then. At that price here is what I suggest...i don't feel like linking today haha.

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600
Video: EVGA 8800GTS
RAM: G.Skill DDR2-800 HK or HZ Series
Mobo: MSI P6N, Gigabyte DS3, or Asus P5B-E
Case: Depends on if you want a Mid tower or a Full
Sound Card: X-Fi ExtremeGamer
PSU: Hiper 580w Modular
CPU Cooling Fan: Depends on what you want. If you want one at a good price, one that looks really cool and performs well, or you want one thats Huge and kicks ***.

I dunno how much all that would be but Im willing to bet less than what your budget is.

Yup, definetly do NOT get a Thermaltake power supply. The Hiper is pretty good although if looks don't matter at all to you, you might want something else. It would still work well but it pumps out a lot less power then other 580W power supplies and even less then some <500W ones. Now that I know your budget, I would personally get the Corsair 520W which is just $96 from ZipZoomFly. I know you want only Newegg but it's $20 less there! The Corsair pumps a lot more power then the Hiper 580, is modular also, sleeved cables, all that fun stuff, and more stable, well-built, reliable for just $5 more.

Also, since I expected your budget to be higher with the E6700 and Raptor and all that, I suggested more case then you need.. Go with something like a Centurion 5 or 534, Lian-Li PC-7B, Antec 900/P180 etc..

Ok, I will be going with the E6600, CoolerMaster Stacker 832, 8800GTX, X-Fi XtremeGamer, Corsair 620W, G.Skill 2GB (1gbx2) DDR2-800 HZ and Windows XP Pro... unless not all are the making of the ultimate gaming computer?

I would still like help on the MB. I'd like to stick to gigabyte or asus, but will to change. 680i isnt worth getting? what is THE best for gaming. Was reading reviews, many have had problems with what has been recommended.

Also, still looking at CPU cooling fans. A few good suggestions, but, which is best?

Despite what you have recommended, I will probably just go with a raptor HD anyway.

Thanks for all the help so far. By the way, please, suggest more than I need. I want the best of the best. Forget the budget.

Ok well the Corsair 520HX would handle a single 8800GTX easily and is cheaper so I suggest that still.

The 680i is NOT worth it. You say the ones I recommended have problems? Look at the 680i with its massive FSB walls and compatibility problems. The 680i overclocks worse than all of the boards I have listed and the only good thing about them is that you can SLI the 8 series cards...which is completley not worth it.

For CPU fans The Tuniq Tower 120 is a heavy favorite.

I would not go with a single raptor as you want...2 7200.10's in RAID are just as fast and give quadruple the amount of space for the price...

Ok, revised...

Case: CoolerMaster Stacker 832
Motherboard: (still looking... just not sure)
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600
CPU Cooling: Tuniq Tower 120
Hard Drive: 2x 7200 - Raid0
Video Card: 8800GTX
Sound Card: X-Fi XtremeGamer
Power Supply: Corsair 520HX
Ram: G.Skill 2GB (1gbx2) DDR2-800 HZ

Hows this? Max doom 3 and still wanting some? The ultimate gaming machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom