New Computer Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

CureTheSane

Beta member
Hi,

I have spent some time reading threads here and gathering information, which has been great.
With this information I have been looking for a good deal on a computer upgrade (new purchase).

I will be using the computer for occasional internet access, post processing of digital photographs (software suggests 1G memory), editing of video recorded footage from a Hard Drive video camera, CD and DVD burning.

Here is what I am looking at as a potential purchase....

Intel Core2Duo E6300
Asus Coe2Duo MB
1G DDR2 Ram
320G SATA II HDD
16X Dual Layer DVD-RW
3d Integrated Graphics
6 Channel Sound
10/100 Lan
$588 USD

Any comments or suggestions on that system and price?

I assume that the above is going to be noticably faster than what I am using at the moment which is

Intel Celeron 1700MHz 128K
Gigabyte GA-8SIMLH P4 ATA133/USB2/VGA/SC/
Hyundai 256MB PC2100 DDR RAM
Seagate 40GB 7200 HDD
LiteOn 52x32x52 IDE CDRW
Powertek 168E-06 USB Front 300W
WinFast TV Card

Thanks

Yes it's going to be a lot faster than the Celeron pc,IMO.
I think the specs of the new pc are just fine for what you are going to do with it.Maybe 2GB of RAM whould be better.Also I don't like intergrated graphics cards,but I suppose you can change that later.

The other options I am looking at are....

AMD AM2 3400+
Intel P4 Dual Core D820

Would they be markedly slower than the Intel Core2Duo E6300?
Or would I still think it was a great upgrade compared to what I am using at the moment?

Thanks again
Martin

CureTheSane said:
The other options I am looking at are....
AMD AM2 3400+
Intel P4 Dual Core D820
Would they be markedly slower than the Intel Core2Duo E6300?
Thanks again
Martin

Well, the E6300 is a faster processor, but that's only in benchmarks. I'm not sure you'll feel the difference tho. So it's all about price/preference in my opinion. Personally, I'd go with a Core 2 Duo.

However, all three processors you are considering (with the corresponding systems) will be much faster than your current computer.

I upgraded from an AthlonXP 1800+ to a Core 2 Duo E6300, and it flies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom