new computer for $800ish

Status
Not open for further replies.
different brand PSU, then you'll be good to go.

Whats with people saying get a different psu?

The Rosewill is a good brand and as surgeVel stated hes running a similar build with a lower version of that psu.

Unless someone can show me why this psu needs to go, I am backing it.

Nice build. Get a 7200.11 and a different brand PSU, then you'll be good to go.

His PSU is plenty for his build. And the smallest size 7200.11 drive is 320GB for $75, so I guess it being only about $10 difference, the switch to the bigger, faster hard drive could be justified.

There is nothing wrong with his Rosewill Power Supply, and unless Ste gets on here saying that his PSU isn't enough for his build, I think it is a great option for his price range and build.

EDIT: Redmoon +1 :D We must have been posting at the same time.

guys the psu is fine...rosewill is a good brand, sure its not a corsair or pc power and cooling but it's still good.

You should get the 7200.11 32mb hdd, you will regret getting the 7200.10.

I also wouldn't get the skyth, get an af7, it will do you fine...mx-2 is a bit better at transfering heat from the cpu to the heatsink over as5. Change those things and you will have a nice build.

^^^

haha, alot of this is stuff i said earlier, just restated... haha

and my only issue is that Rosewill isnt a top brand in PSUs, more of a money saving brand, imho... its not that 500~W wouldnt be enough... just that its not on any recommended parts lists ive read, and ive just never heard of it being very good... in fact, in the stickied power supply guide, i believe its under the category of quote "Absolute Low End Builds or You're A Cheapskate"... and in the recommended PC components guide its under "LOW-end/budget parts"...
so... seems pretty silly to get mostly pretty high end parts, then scrimp when it comes to the thing that powers it all...
haha just a thought... again, in the end its your call :*
same with the 7200.11, MX-2 and different heatsink... not that what you picked is bad... just that i (and apparently a few others haha) think it could be better...
good luck :) - RK

Based off this article on Tom's Hardware I would not recommend the Scythe since its cooling performance isn't that good. The Cooler Master Hyper TX2 had very similar noise levels yet kept the test processor 10c cooler.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RR-CCH-L9U1-GP 92mm Hyper TX2 CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Also MX-2 thermal paste is supposed to be better than Arctic Silver 5.

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

good call.

im reading that there is barely enough to do the job in the MX-2, but did i also read that you need to keep reapplying AS5 every 6 months to a year?

also, for the record, im not stupid, and ive built computers before. im just trying to find good components, that dont sound like jet engines, for a budget that keeps wifey happy. the only reason her vote allows me to have this, is because i told her i wouldnt get one of bushmaster's ar-15'sBushmaster - Home Defense & Recreation Rifles for around the same price. plus optics. :D but, im still looking for a good .45...

but for a new final build:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors
$220
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RR-CCH-L9U1-GP 92mm Hyper TX2 CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
$25 (w/ MX-2)
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
$90
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
$60
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3250310NS 250GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
$80
Newegg.com - ASUS EN9600GT/HTDI/512M GeForce 9600GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
$150 (+) $20 MIR (also, i like the huge HSF on it...)
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W Power Supply 90 - 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Power Supplies
$100 (+) $10 MIR
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - Operating Systems
$110
-no additional dvd burner-

$841.91 -$30 MIR's + $26 shipping = $838

can i order this thing already? :D

looks good. FYI you can get a 500gb 7200.11 for like $20 more then that 250gb i believe.

What cpu heat sink did you decide on...it is not listed there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom