New Comp & Card Not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelminns

Baseband Member
I just bought this piece of junk computer

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=BDL10001767&logon=&langid=EN

along with a BFG geforce 7950 GT OC video card... Of course i didnt realize that the card required a 350W psu minimum, and of course, my piece of junk computer comes with a crappy bestec 300W supply... Anyways, I went ahead and plugged in the card and all that and tried to fire up the computer... No display on the monitor. No display through either the card or the integrated VGA output. When i take the card out, I have video again. What I'm wondering is whether or not the card will work even if I have a decent PSU. It would really suck to order a PSU and have to return everything.

Thanks

The card will work if it has enough juice. You will have to disable the onboard video in the BIOS when you get ready to go with the card.

So if I disable the onboard video through the bios, the card might work with the 300W PSU? Or will I have to disable the onboard video even if I have a decent PSU? I don't ever recall having to do this before.

PS: Are Dynex PSU's good? bad? ugly?

Yeah it might work buy I would strongly suggest you to get a new PSU first. Try Antec or Thermaltake.

If it doesn't work, you can always take it back. Dynex is carried by Best Buy, but I don't know the manufacturer.

OK, so I went out and bought a 500W PSU. I hooked it up and everything works fine without the new video card... When i install the new card, there is still no video. Is it mandatory to disable the onboard video for the new video card to work? Am i missing something here? Or is this computer just doomed to be unable to play games?

Thanks for your help.

Disable it in Device Manager, then disable it in the BIOS. It ought to work then.

thanks folks. I just set the primary video adapter to PCI-E rather than PCI within the BIOS. Not sure if thats what you all meant by disable the onboard vid.

Thanks

This happend to me when i tried to install a USB 2.0 and Firewire card... It would not post, funny thing is a plugged my monitor into DVI and reset the bios and it worked.. try that

Lots of options in the BIOS. That's what worked with my old card in my old computer, going from onboard to a GFX card.

My DFI doesn't have onboard, so I don't have those options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom