New to Building Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilles

In Runtime
I just started looking into building my own computer and know absolutely nothing. I've started reading as much as possible and looking at reviews, but there is so much to learn it's a bit overwhelming. I should probably just read more guides and whatnot, but I figure I'll just jump into it and give you guys all the parts I looked at for my computer and hopefully you can point out where I went wrong.

(Note: This is copied from another thread at another site I made)
I have been shopping on TigerDirect and have got what I think is a good gaming computer for the cost. I have no idea how to build my own computer, and am curious if all the parts I chose are compatible. Also any suggestions to changing any parts are more than welcome.

Also is this thing going to be able to cool itself? I don't plan on overclocking it. Maybe in the future when I know more and am comfortable doing it myself.

Processor: AMD Phenom X4 9600 Quad Core Processor

Motherboard: XFX nForce 750a SLI Motherboard

RAM (2 sticks): Corsair Value Select 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB Hard Drive

Graphics Card: HIS Radeon HD 4870 Video Card-512

Power Supply: Corsair TX750W 750-Watt Power Supply

How is the power supply? I had no idea how much I wanted, but I figured more than 500 less than 1000.

Sound Card: Auzentech AZT-XPCINE X-Plosion Cinema 7.1 Sound Card

DvD Drive: Sony DRU-V200S/BR DVD Rewritable Drive SATA

Thanks,
Gilles

There are problems and bugs with the Phenom 9600. Get a P45 mb and you should go with a Intel quad core as they perform a lot better than AMD's quads. And I think it would be better to get at least PC2 6400 ram.

I don't really know many sites, TigerDirect was the first thing I found that seemed good. Also I'm Canadian if that makes a difference.

For budget I'm thinking 1400 tops for my hardware. That doesn't include case, monitor, key and mouse, and speakers.

Edit: Newegg seems to be opening in Canada soon, but hasn't yet. Also I can buy graphics cards, RAM, sound cards and hard drives at work where I get 10% off.

The price on those are a chunk higher than mine. :p

Although I would rather get a quality processor and mobo that will last a while, and go with a cheaper graphics card and less RAM. Then upgrade the RAM and card when I can.

Edit: Thanks gt7sanremo, you've been lots of help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom