New build trips circuit breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

KidHorn

Beta member
I'm putting together my first homebuilt computer. had everything setup correctly (I think). Went to turn it on for the first time and the circuit breaker tripped.

I reset the breaker, only connected the minimum necessary to start. The 20+4 power and the 4+4 12v. Tried again, same result.

The only thing connected are the cpu w/fan and 4 ram. I have a video card in the slot, but disconnected the power. I also have the connections for the power/hdd light/led light connected.

What I do is plug in the psu, turn on the power switch on the psu and then when I press the power button on the front of the case, it trips right away. One time, it took about a second to trip. The CPU fan ran for about a second and then trip.

I don't think I'm overloading the circuit with normal use since I use the same plug for the vacuum cleaner and it doesn't trip.

One thing is the 12v connection has connections with the square ends and the rounded ends and it's impossible to get everything to line up with the power supply. The power supply connection consists of two 4 pin connections side by side and they're right next to each other so there's no way to reverse them and the clips line up with the clips on the motherboard, so there's only one reasonable way to connect it, but the reasonable way results in squares in rounded holes and vice versa.

This is my system (from NewEgg)

2 x LOGISYS 120MM4LED CASE FAN CF120BL

1 x HD 750G|SAMG 7K 32M SATA2 HD753LJ

1 x PSU ROSEWILL|RG630-2 630W

2 x MEM 2Gx2|GSK F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT

1 x MB ASROCK|P55 PRO

1 x VGA XFX|HD-487A-ZWFC HD4870 1G

1 x DVD BURN SONY-NEC|AD-7241S-0B

I haven't had an opportunity to try another psu. I can probably do this today.

Anyone have any suggestions for me to troubleshoot?

My guesses would be:
1. Faulty power supply
2. Something is shorting out (did you use standoffs for the motherboard?)
3. Perhaps the PSU voltage switch is set incorrectly.

1. That would be my guess too. I'll swap in another that I know works.
2. Yes. Need to determine where the short is occurring. I used standoffs. It must be either the PSU or MB.
3. There is no voltage setting on PSU. Or at least I didn't see one . I can double check tonight.

What else is plugged into that breaker? Its quite possible you are just drawing too much amperage from that circuit.

What else is plugged into that breaker? Its quite possible you are just drawing too much amperage from that circuit.

Last night it was a couple of overhead lights that use CFC bulbs and a PS3. Like I said in my original post, I use the plug when I vacuum and it never trips a breaker. Sometimes the vacuum is running and at the same time a 52" RPTV is running off the same circuit. I also have a treadmill that runs off the same circuit. It wasn't running last night. I think there must be a short.

well if the house was built after the 1960's then most likely it has 15 amp breaker. and if the 15 amp breaker in my house that provides electricity to me and 3 other rooms in my house and even when my sister uses her hair dryer with my pc on it still does not trip it then that one should not too. so i doubt it.

My guesses would be:
1. Faulty power supply
2. Something is shorting out (did you use standoffs for the motherboard?)
3. Perhaps the PSU voltage switch is set incorrectly.

yes this is my guess too. most likely a bad psu, especially since roswwill is not a hig quality psu maker.

I tested with the PSU from another computer last night and it looks like a faulty PSU. The Rosewill tripped on 2 different computers while the good PSU worked on both.

I'm going to ask for a refund from NewEgg. I think they charge a 15% fee for a refund and it will cost $12 to ship back, but from now on, I think i'll buy heavy, prone to failure things from my local Microcenter. It typically costs more, but it's much easier to swap a bad one. I learned a lesson for about $20. About the same as not getting a rebate.

I have my eye on a 700w OCZ on sale for $90.

yep, if the psu is bad, newegg will usually let you return it and if you ask nicely they'll reimburse you for shipping it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom