New Build Problem (epic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ObbiQuiet

Beta member
I recently bought a new system and put it together. My initial problem was when I started it up my monitor displayed a garbled image of color, let out a single beep, my POST code displayed 7F (check POST error and display them and ask for user intervention) and a few seconds after that it shuts down.

First attempt at a fix: I tried different monitors. Any HD monitor told me that it wasn't getting a signal and normal ones merely displayed a broken image.

Second attempt: I switched around my two sticks of ram and put them in different slots. Sometimes it let out one long, singular beep.

Third Attempt: I tried moving my GPU into different PCI x16 slots.

Fourth attempt: I played around with the power for a long time. First I tried to rig it so I was getting as much power as possible to my GPU, then as close to possible to the power needed. I should be well in the clear in both volts and amps.

Fifth attempt: I took everything out of the case and assembled it like this: mobo, cpu, cpu fan, PSU, gpu, monitor. Still the same error without the case.

Sixth attempt: I replaced the GPU with a nvidia geforce 7350 LE. The monitor worked and bios started up without a hitch.

So I think so far I've identified that it involves the GPU, although the test card wasn't ideal because it did not rely on a PCI-E connector from the PSU, so it still might be a power issue. Does anyone else have ANY ideas? I'd like to send for a GPU replacement as a last resort. I've checked and rechecked compatibility. Stayed up until 4 AM just reading every manual I have. Everything SHOULD work together. Still, if any tech savvy people out there could take a look at my rig, it would be really appreciated.

Also: Could I have some advice on how to proceed? I only have one SLI card. I might buy my second when I send my first one in for replacement. How does the SLI work? Do I have to buy the exact same SLI make, or can I buy a different one? Does it have to a BFG 8800 GTX OC, can I get it from a different manufacturer, or a different 8800 series card? I appreciate all help I can get.

Motherboard:
Evga 780i mobo
Newegg.com - EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU:
Intel Quad core 6700 2.66 ghz
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

PSU:
Thermaltake Toughpower 1000w SLI enabled
Newegg.com - Thermaltake Toughpower W0132RU ATX12V / EPS12V 1000W Power Supply 115/ 230 V CE, CB, TUV, FCC, UL, CUL, and BSMI certified - Retail

Soundcard:
M-AUDIO revolution 5.1
Newegg.com - M-AUDIO Revolution 5.1 5.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface High-Definition Sound Card - Retail

Hard drive:
Raptor 150gb 10,000 rpm
Newegg.com - Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Memory:
Corsair 2gb (1gb x 2) 800 DD2
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Case:
Antec 900 mid atx black
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

GPU:
BFG 8800 GTX OC
BFG Tech - BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB PCIe

CD/DVD drive:
SecurDisk internal super multi.

Sometimes a fluke exsists where you just need to get started with a different GPU.

Try the GTX again, if the problem reoccurs and it then goes away after you put the 7300LE back in, RMA the GTX.

And yes if you want SLI you need the exact same Model and Clock speeds for the second card..
But it is not worth it. Just stay single card. Majority of games do not support multi card setups and those that do rarely get double performence.

Sometimes a fluke exsists where you just need to get started with a different GPU.

Try the GTX again, if the problem reoccurs and it then goes away after you put the 7300LE back in, RMA the GTX.

And yes if you want SLI you need the exact same Model and Clock speeds for the second card..
But it is not worth it. Just stay single card. Majority of games do not support multi card setups and those that do rarely get double performence.

What do you mean by "RMA"?

Your suggestion, then, is that I use the other card to get my computer all set up. Perhaps download the drivers for my GTX 8800?

Thanks, btw, for replying. You're the first helpful person in two days. I've been with tech support, manuals, and a plethora of different forums.

RMA, as in return to manufacture, they will either repair it or give you a new card. You will have to contact The manufacture for RMA information.

Yes, you can do that. But I would just put the GTX back in now and see if the problem reoccurs.

RMA, as in return to manufacture, they will either repair it or give you a new card. You will have to contact The manufacture for RMA information.

Yes, you can do that. But I would just put the GTX back in now and see if the problem reoccurs.

I did. I should have mentioned that I reset it. It still doesn't work.

If the problem reoccurs with the GTX in place, RMA it.

Call up the manufacturer of the card or goto their website and read up on their RMA process.

Alright. Thanks for the help.

Just one more question to satisfy me before I mail it off... (I hate to wait, lol)

Downloading drivers probably won't fix the problem, will it? You said the fluke is merely where it needs a different videocard for startup. Would I have to all the way through bios, or install everything, or should I merely need to start it up once with the new videocard?

But really, though, thanks for the help. You're the first one in like six forums and a dozen or so emails.

It might, So you can indeed install windows with the 7300LE and download the drivers for the GTX, once windows is installed and you have the GTX drivers ready to install, you can shut down, put the GTX in, boot into windows and install the GTX drivers and if the problem still persists you can then RMA the Card.

If, after windows is installed and you pop the GTX in, but it won't POST, or boot into windows, then RMA the Card..

Alright, so with the other card I still have the power problems. The computer will run for 15 to 30 seconds before just shutting down. Any thoughts? It sounds like a power issue, although with 1000W I can't imagine how.

So now both cards produce the same error?
RMA the motherboard.

Unless you have another power supply to test... And if you do, try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom