new build-- compatibility - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: new build-- compatibility

Yes, for SLI and the LGA 775 socket you'll have to use an Nvidia Chipset.

I'm a Nvidia supporter, but with your setup listed you'd be better off with a ATI 4890. You could add a second card later as that Gigabyte board does support Crossfire. But it's your hard earned money to spend

Old 10-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to theghoul22
Talking Re: new build-- compatibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
Yes, for SLI and the LGA 775 socket you'll have to use an Nvidia Chipset.

I'm a Nvidia supporter, but with your setup listed you'd be better off with a ATI 4890. You could add a second card later as that Gigabyte board does support Crossfire. But it's your hard earned money to spend
haha i cant break away from nvidia we've just been together too long. Well i finalized my list of components in the original post. Could somebody assure me that it all looks 100% compatible? Im getting an itchy trigger finger for that buy button

Old 10-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Well back to your power supply. I ran your parts thru the NewEgg Power Supply Calculator Newegg - Power Supply Calculator and it said 599 watts and that's not counting fans or anything you may want to add in the future. And a 600 watt power Supply will be running at 100% all the time. You should try to stay around the 80% mark.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to theghoul22

I ran it through thermaltakes power supply calculator and that said recommended is 486 w. The thing is I already bought the PSU a few weeks ago. Hopefully thermaltake is correct

Edit: i just used Neweggs power supply calculator on my current computer. Ive been using this build for 3 years , never had a problem , and newegg requests i have 74 more watts than i actually have.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by theghoul22 View Post
I ran it through thermaltakes power supply calculator and that said recommended is 486 w. The thing is I already bought the PSU a few weeks ago. Hopefully thermaltake is correct

Edit: i just used Neweggs power supply calculator on my current computer. Ive been using this build for 3 years , never had a problem , and newegg requests i have 74 more watts than i actually have.
600W does seem a little generous for that system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theghoul22 View Post
ohh, i think you read trotters post by mistake and not mine. Mine says Sli geforce 9800 gtx+

Heres a pic

Do you see any other incompatibilities?

Thanks again for your help guys!
Those must be newer cards because I have 2 EVGA 9800GTX+ cards and mine take 2 connectors each.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Closed Thread