New Build - Can't boot from DVD drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

soma104

Solid State Member
Hi,

I built my first computer today, and it seems that everything is set up correctly. It turns on, I can get into the BIOS, and set it up to boot from the CD in order to install windows. When I try booting it up, the DVD drive kicks in. On the startup screen it asks me if I want to boot from the CD/DVD drive, and then...nothing. The DVD drive starts to slow down to a stop, and nothing more happens. I used a LiteOn LH-20A1S.

Does anyone know if this particular DVD drive will boot, or do I need to load windows xp from floppy disk?

Please help
Soma

You must load Windows xp from the cd. Check the jumper settings on the DVD drive should either be cable select or master/slave unless its a SATA/PATA drive. Also if your boot order is set to dvd rom first you should not have pick anything should just boot to cd and get the message "press any key to boot from cd" and it will go into windows xp install.

Are you using a usb keyboard? If so, make sure to set the usb keyboard/usb mouse control to bios controlled rather than OS controlled. It sounds like the keyboard is just not working while it is asking for you to hit the key to boot from disk. I had this issue when i was trying to reinstall vista on my craptastic abit 650i board.

or, as an alternative, just plug in a ps2 keyboard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom