New ATI card just might be hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgoldb2

In Runtime
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2527

I would like to point out one thing in particular in that a article.

Those of you who know a little bit about GPU architecture should recognize the "ultra-threaded quad-core" design as a standard GPU. X800XL/XT would also qualify as ultra-threaded and quad-core, as would the 6800GT/Ultra. They have a core split up into groups of "quads" - four pixel pipelines that can be deactivated as a group in case one of them is faulty. Our understanding from the documentation is that there are once again four quads, so expect to see 16 pipes on this card. There are some "confirmations" of 24pp and 32pp, but the roadmaps clearly say four cores/quads (at least to begin with) due to yeild. All signs indicate that a future generation, R580, will use six cores instead.

WIth all the big talk it look like when the new card first release it possiable that it could only have 16 pixil pipelines. If it release with 16 pixel pipelines only then I think it been WAY over hyped by people. I very much doubt 1 16pipeline card going to blow away a 24 pipeline card. Now again nothing for certain so I will wait to see what acturally happens but for now it look like the ati new card is just hype.

It was overhyped because it was originally planned to have 32 pixel pipelines built on a 90nm process, as well as a bunch of other little improvements such as GDDR4 over GDDR3 and the addition of the infamous shader 3 instruction set

Although it has fewer pipelines than the 7800 it has a higher clockspeed that ATI believes will compensate....I don't know if it will or not though

gaara said:
Although it has fewer pipelines than the 7800 it has a higher clockspeed that ATI believes will compensate....I don't know if it will or not though

I will wait for it to be release and benchmarks before I know how it competes with the 7800GTX. The 512 bit"ring bus" memory controler is a nice improvement but dont think that it is a true 512 bit memory controller because it not. I quote to explain

The memory subsystem is still connected by a more typical 256-bit memory bus, and the 512-bit ring bus is something else.

The point was so many people been saying so many things about how great this card going to be and alot of the stuff they said look like it was just hype.

I have seen anyone claim it to have 512bit memory interface, however I wouldn't be suprised if they pull another 9700Pro soon enough, they really do need to the way things are stacking up

well the 16 pipelines is old news....

buuut yeah, I was actually looking forward to this card too after the 7xxx was such a disappointment...don't get me wrong, it's a monster card and all, but the way it was so secretely guarded and not talked about I thought it would be something crazy....I was really hoping this ATI card would just completely blow it away but it's like the closer and closer it gets to be released the more and more 'truths' start coming out and the worse it looks...soooo yeah we just gotta wait and see

Yeah, I'm honestly waiting to build my next monster gaming machine... I'm waiting until the new ATI cards are out. Then after some reviews and benchmarks - i'll either go Crossfire or SLI.
I've already got the money to buy & build... it's just a waiting game now.

I've gotta believe that a GPU Core @ 700Mhz to 800Mhz has got to measure up - if not - beat out the 7800GTX with 24PL.

We'll see.

depends how effective each GPU is in terms of per clock efficiency.

If the 7xxx series can do more per clock then it won't matter if the ATIs is considerably higher

havoc dude, you have a freaking FX processor with SLIed 6800 Ultras, please don't tell me you were actually considering upgrading at all until 2006 at the earliest

gaara said:
havoc dude, you have a freaking FX processor with SLIed 6800 Ultras, please don't tell me you were actually considering upgrading at all until 2006 at the earliest

Yeah what happened to this future proof crap?

Pff, my FX-55 is 200mhz slower than a new FX-57...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom