New $640 Budget Gaming Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes I meant Arctic Freezer Pro 7, gosh darn, so used to recommending AMD for budget builds, old habits die hard eh?

So I decided to spring for the Arctic Freezer Pro 7 out of my own pocket for my old man. Looking at the pictures it seems like it has thermal pad/paste already on the bottom.

Should I go with what is included or use my tube of Arctic Silver 5 that I already have?

I also changed the RAM to Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) since it was on the compatible RAM list at Gigabyte's page.

I'll likely be ordering Wednesday or Thursday, so I'm still open to suggestions!

Also, I have one final question about that Abit IP35-E. It uses a 8-pin power connector by the CPU, where the DS3L only has a 4-pin one. The majority of Power Supplies in the Recommended PC Components thread only have a 4-pin connector for them. Would that cause a problem had I gone with the Abit IP35-E?

So I decided to spring for the Arctic Freezer Pro 7 out of my own pocket for my old man. Looking at the pictures it seems like it has thermal pad/paste already on the bottom.

Should I go with what is included or use my tube of Arctic Silver 5 that I already have?
No. The thermal pad that is pre-applied to the ACF7Pro, is MX-1 or 2, which is better than AS5.

I also changed the RAM to Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) since it was on the compatible RAM list at Gigabyte's page.
Good choice.

Also, I have one final question about that Abit IP35-E. It uses a 8-pin power connector by the CPU, where the DS3L only has a 4-pin one. The majority of Power Supplies in the Recommended PC Components thread only have a 4-pin connector for them. Would that cause a problem had I gone with the Abit IP35-E?
The 8-pin CPU power connection is usually meant to provide more stable power to the CPU, when overclocking. Specifically a quad core, since they would need more stable power than a dual core. I've read that it's ok to just use a 4-pin in that 8-pin slot. But I guess it's better to be safe, right? So you can get an 4-pin to 8-pin adapter such as:
Newegg.com - APEVIA 9.5" 4 Pin P4 /12V to 8 Pin P8 /12V Power Supply Converter Cable Model CVT48 - Retail

And you've raised a good point. I should look around for more PSUs, that already come with an 8-pin CPU power connector cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom