Never had to return defective memory before

Status
Not open for further replies.

aetherh4cker

Corrupt Techie
So I built a PC for my dad about 3-4 months ago, and one of his DDR2-800 Crucial Ballistix (2x 1GB) sticks went dead. It was crashing any time you tried to run a large (game) program, and Memtest86 helped identify it as horribly broken (about 10,000 errors per minute).

Things seem to be running fine on one stick, but now I'm stuck with the task of returning it for him. I have never returned anything purchased over the internet (bought it from Newegg), so I just wanted to know if there is anything I should know or expect.

I assume I'll need to return both sticks (ugh). What is the best way to package my returns?

Will I need to pay shipping? Or anything?

This is pretty annoying. I even spent a few bucks extra on what I thought was "better" memory.

I'm guessing its not within the return limit of Newegg? If not, you'll have to contact Crucial for an RMA number (calling them is usually the best option if you can). Ask them over the phone if you have to send in both sticks, or if they'll replace the one for you. Most likely you'll have to pay for shipping 1 way (to their service department). Best way to package it, is put the stick in an anti-static bag (even though its bad anyway, it shows you care enough to package it properly), and then in some packing inside of a box. Unless you have the original package, you can put it in there then too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom