Network Media Player/Media Center PC - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Network Media Player/Media Center PC

Iv got a few questions regarding the different ways I can get movies in .avi/.mkv/.ogg format from a hard drive to my television.

Currently I just have a PC hooked up to the TV via an s-video cable (Will upgrade to HDMI once I get a new video card), and I have to use a mouse to navigate windows and find what I want to watch and then play that via media player classic or a similar program, which is kinda a hassle. Im looking for a way I could use a remote control rather than a mouse, and something that can categorize my video for me like iTunes does for music.

One solution I guess would be to get something like this DSM-320 Wireless Media Player - Stream Audio/Video on TV by D-Link But the problem is that these network media players never support all the formats that I use, so its really no solution.

So that brings me to whether or not I could just use a PC running windows xp and find some software that would allow me to categorize all the media on my home network and play it through that software, Ideally this software would come with some sort of remote control (and I'm guessing some sort of USB dongle to interface it with the computer) that I could use to navigate the program without having to use a mouse.

So I guess that gets me to my real question, does something like this software exist? or is this just wishful thinking...
Closed Thread