Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginkotsu

Baseband Member
Neopower 480w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103924

NeoHe 500w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103940

The NeoHe is the newest PSU's from Antec, but I can't find a single website review on the 500w model and after reading L3thal's review on the NeoHe at Newegg I'm worried about buying it. The Neopower however has plenty of reviews from Newegg users and websites so that's why I picked this one out a few months ago. My system is close to completion so I'm about ready to purchase a PSU I just don't know which one.

Other things to consider is the fans of both power supplies. The NP fan is on the bottom which in my case is close to the Vantec Tornados which I wonder if they'll overpower the PSU fan and cause it to burn. Review from Newegg user:

HEADS UP! HEADS UP! READ READ READ
When my other ps failed, I needed one right away and ran to the store and bought this one for 30% more (oh well).

My other is rated at 510 (650actual); -this Antec took over the heavy workload imposed by gaming leaving me most satisfied. Until, ...

Caution: While in the process of installing a new, more powerful, front fan; -I remembered I needed to send out a quick email. I put the sidepanel back on with my case now having essentially 2 exhaust fans, the Antec PS one, and a 120mm just below it, -AND NO FRONT FAN. My case is sealed tight with the soundreducing peel&stick stuff.

Without the front fan, my rear 120mm must have 'overpowered' the PS's fan in the sucking contest the 2 fans engaged in. The end result: the heat built up inside the unit and melted certain internals materials (the smell scared the hec outta me). I quickly powered down and headed to the store to exchange for a new one (now realizing my own fault in this event, I hope that by sharing this info, it will help prevent similar oversights on the part of others...)

Bottom Line: Strive for even air flow in your case. With my new fan installed, I now have a lil monster fan in the front and 2 average fans in the rear (makes for good balance in a watercooled case...).

I have two front fans and one side fan, but the Tornados in back are the most powerful fans in my case. The front fans may not even matter and I could burn my PSU because of too much suction. The NeoHe has only one fan on the outside away from the Tornados so I wouldn't worry too much about it. But the NeoHe's amps are lower then the NP's for some reason. One thing I forgot to mention the NP can control case fans based on temperature the He cannot.

So as you can see I need some user opinions on this matter. :confused:

the HE would be better sense it has 3 +12V line on it ;)

+3.3V@23A, +5V@17A, +12V1@17A, +12V2@17A, +12V3@17A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A

+3.3V@30A, +5V@38A, +12V1@18A, +12V2@15A, -12V@1A, +5VSB@2A

So I shouldn't worry about the +3.3v and +5v rails? I'm just looking at the He's lower amps on those rails compared to the NP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom