Needing some general build help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApolloIV

In Runtime
Hello

My dad's co-worker recently came up to me and asked me to build him a PC for his home that would be good for general use: Music, some video, simple games for his kids and something easy to use from his upgraded windows 98 system that just crapped out on him, yes i said windows 98. Well for a good general build I browsed Newegg and found a decent set up and want some feed back on it.

cd/dvd:
burner:Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe - OEM

case:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW Black/Silver Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

HD:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Mobo:
Newegg.com - ASUS M2N AM2 NVIDIA nForce 430 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

video card:
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P2-N757-TR GeForce 8600GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

PSU:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RP-550-PCAR ATX from factor 12V V2.01 550W Power Supply 110-115V/ 220-230V Nemko, TUV, cUL, CE, BSM, FCC, CCC - Retail

RAM:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

CPU:
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

He would like to order everything tomorrow so any feed back would be great!
Thanks!

Well, heres my tips.

That will equal out to around $820. Its supposed to be for "general use" and its not going to be running any great graphics games. I'm thinking by simple games he meant probably something along the lines that his kids would play. To cut down on the price, you could get a lower price gfx card. 500 GB? It doesn't sound like he uses the computer to much so you could cut that down too. And since it seems as if he doesn't know to much about computers do NOT get him vista. All the bugs aren't fixed yet and if something goes wrong he might not know what to do. Get him XP instead, its stable. He probably won't need 2 GB of RAM, but all of this is up to you.

Well he eventually wants to run vista so I figured the 2Gb of ram would be ideal and the GPU since its DX10, and he wanted to spend around 1,200 dollars including a new LCD monitor but he plans to get that at a near by store. I thought the 500GB HD was over kill but he said the more the better since he'll have the space if needed. I will probably drop the HD down to a 250 at least since his wife downloads music. I just wipped this up in like 30 min.s since he just wanted a rough look of what he would get so i'll probably make some changes.

Plus he needs the parallel port on the Mobo for his old printer.

Ah, that information would have been helpful. I thought he just wanted a computer where he could access the internet and stuff for everyday use. I also assumed that he wanted it to be cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom