Need your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

0tz

In Runtime
I posted this once but using the search button, i cant search my previous thread anymore. Anyway:

-- BUILDING A CHEAP FUTURE-PROOF MODERATE GAMING PC--

What should you find in a graphics card when choosing a brand? Many prefer eVGA for Nvidia. What is special in eVGA that many chooses it among other Nvidia card manufacturers? eVGA is not available here in our country so I ask which among these Nvidia card brands is reliable:

Inno3D (the most widely available brand)
Leadtek
Gainward (kinda pricey)
Palit (competitive price with Inno3D)

Im planning on getting myself a 6600GT or 7300GT and confused on which brand should I buy.

Next. Im planning on an Am2 system so RAM will be DDR2. I found Geil DDR2 533Mhz Dual-Channel Kit with 4-4-4-12 timing. Is this ok? No 800Mhz DDR2 available yet T_T

And last. Regarding AS5. When I put the chip on the socket, I apply a dot size amount of AS5 in the center of the chip. Then wipe the bottom of the HSF with alcohol then put the HSF on the chip. The AS5 will spread evenly. Is this process correct? Im reviewing myself with this.

PSU 550W with 20A on 12V is sufficient enough to power this system?

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Orleans 1.8 Ghz
MSI K9N Neo-F nForce 550
6600GT video card
512MB DDR2 533Mhz then upgrade to Geil 1GB DDR2 533 Dual-Channel
Sony Combo Drive
80GB Seagate Barracuda SATA

Need your answers guys. Thanks

Unless I'm mistaken, Palit is made by Gainward.

I have heard good things about all four of those via reviews. But why an older card (6600GT) or a scaled-down card (7300GT)? I would go with at least a 7600GT.

The Geil RAM ought to be fine.

I've heard of AS5 being applied that way, as well as being spread out with a credit card first.

550W will be plenty for a system that is only using a low-end graphics card.

Definately get something OTHER than a 7300. I use 7600GS(2 of em) but if you are gonna use 1 Video Card get a 7600GT. XFX is a good brand too.

If you are going to use only 1 Video card dont forget to look at ATI as well. A X850 or X1800GTO would be a Very nice choice.

Regarding the AS5, maybe I prefer putting a dot dize amount on the chip and let the HSF spread it evenly. Spreading it with a thick card might spill and Im scared of that. When I rub the bottom of the HSF with an alcohol then wipe it dry, is it already ok to lock it in the socket?

If Gainward is by Palit, why does our local pc magazine advertise them differently? Perhaps Im getting Inno3D since its the most available brand here.

If ever I get 7600GT, will my power supply be able to handle it?I think 7600GT is not that power hungry?

Before anything else, please take note guys that Im not into gaming that play the highest resolution possible. Im into a system that I can play it at lowest resolution (800X600 for most games now right?) as long as it is in max details. I am contented with such thats why Im not into those power rigs that have monster cards with them ^_^ Im not a hardcore gamer.

So a 6600GT or 7300GT can play my fav games (Flight Simulator, Warcraft, Rome Total War, Battlefield 2, Generals Zero Hour) on the lowest resolution possible (800X600) and everything is maxed except of AA? If not, perhaps the 7600GT which is considered the mid range card might do?

Budget is the bottleneck for a high end pc for me T_T
Price matters. I need to graduate first ^_^

If Gainward is by Palit, why does our local pc magazine advertise them differently? Perhaps Im getting Inno3D since its the most available brand here.

Sort of like Ford and Mercury, or Chevrolet and Pontiac.

If ever I get 7600GT, will my power supply be able to handle it?I think 7600GT is not that power hungry?

550W will handle it. I'm running a 7800GTX with 520W.

Im not a hardcore gamer.

The 7600GT is not hardcore, but it is solid and more future-proof than the others.

Thanks sir Trotter. So my proposed build after the AMD price cut down:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Orleans 1.8Ghz AM2
MSI K9N Neo-F nForce 550
Inno3D GeForce 7300LE 128MB 64bit
generic 512MB DDR2 533Mhz
Sony Combo Drive
80GB Seagate SATA

--Need to have a running PC immediately after purchase thats why I have some crap components---

Then I shall buy:

2x512MB (1GB) Geil DDR2 533Mhz Dual-Channel Kit
Inno3D GeForce 7600GT

Will my pc be ready for the upcoming 65nm AMD processors that will compete with Core 2 Duo?

So is everything ready and able me to play games I mentioned above in the lowest resolution and graphics details from medium to high settings?

IMO, if your going to go with one of those cards, at least go with the better of the 2 and get the 6600GT... 7300's just plain stink... low clocks, crap reviews, 4 pipes, etc... at least the 6600GT has 8 Pipes, (in general) higher clocks, better reviews, and so on... future proof a little better and get the 6600, it's worth the money

Posted by Orayn in another post:
7300 is a horrible card. Re-install the 6800 and you'll be in good shape. Remember, kids, the #200/#300 cards share your main RAM and are slower than frozen molasses.

Nukem said:
IMO, if your going to go with one of those cards, at least go with the better of the 2 and get the 6600GT... 7300's just plain stink... low clocks, crap reviews, 4 pipes, etc... at least the 6600GT has 8 Pipes, (in general) higher clocks, better reviews, and so on... future proof a little better and get the 6600, it's worth the money

Posted by Orayn in another post:
7300 is a horrible card. Re-install the 6800 and you'll be in good shape. Remember, kids, the #200/#300 cards share your main RAM and are slower than frozen molasses.

So you mean 7600GT is not good also? When I get 6600GT, I can play the ones I said above in low resolution with max details?

And what does the #200/#300 cards mean? Does it mean like 6200 and 7300? Is it the turbo-cache that 6200 have? By the way, whats the meaning of that "turbo cache" that 6200 says?

7300LE is my temporary card only since I need a running PC immediately after I purchase and budget is the bottleneck. If it will eat up my suffocating 512MB temporary RAM, what is your suggested temporary card? If 6600GT is better than 7600GT, then I get 6600GT. OMG Im so confused.

7300 is terrible. Its 64bit and really slow. 7600 is 10 times better. If you can find one there a 6600gt is better, or a X800 is even better yet.

actually you are wrong markkleb, the 7300gt that are in Asia outperform the ones here in the states because more budget boards are made in asia, and you can't say something is crap unless you had own one or seen one run, you can't base your perception on synthetic benchmarks, and a 7300gt runs fine (depends on which ones you get, the gddr3 version runs faster than my 6600gt and the gddr2 version that my friend has runs as fine if not better than mine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom