Need a wiper program.. (HDD Issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antec-User

Papa Chester
My buddy has trashed yet ANOTHER HDD. He likes to get mad and kick his PC and I'm the one who has to fix it and then I have to listen when he complains about the programs I advise him to run. :madd: But anyway.. He says it was a virus, but a virus couldn't have caused this..

SpinRite didn't work and it says there are troublesome sectors on the disc that it could not read or repair. I know this is supposed to be a good program, but it has never worked for me on about a dozen tries on a dozen HDD's. I tried wiping and reinstalling Vista and it hiccuped half way through. It said it could not complete the install.

I want to try to wipe the drive and try again.. it's a WDC 500g Green.. The drive isn't even a year old. What are some good wiper programs?

BCwipe is good.

Wiping does not help anything if you have broken sectors. When broken sectors start showing up in software, the disk is badly damaged and has run out of spare sectors. Bad sectors can not be repaired, by the way. It is impossible, you would have to replace the platter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom