Need upgrading info/help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2006, 03:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Smile Need upgrading info/help

Hello there!

Need help with choosing the correct thing to buy ^^.

I currently have a motherboard which supports 478 sockets for Intel Pentium 4/Celeron processors (Model: ASUS P4P800 SE and supports hyper-threading (if this helps)), NVIDIA GeForce 5700LE, Intel Pentium 4 CPU with 2.6GHz, and 2 GB of RAM (can't even play Half-Life 2 Episode One on full res n graphics with no lag ='().

What should I get if it were for a gaming and plan to play games that have high requirements (games like Quake 4 at 1280x1024 res at 'Ultra Graphics' mode XD)? Price range $400-$700 totalled (possible?).

Should I get a sli motherboard with two other graphics card with a new CPU or even a motherboard with the new intel dual core and a good graphics card? Need exact models and details on what to get please, cauz I'm a PC noob =D. thanks, help appreciated.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Get a 7800GS and a good PSU like Antec 550w.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

if you are a big gamer get a new mobo and processor. core2 duo if you can fit it. idk if you need to go sli right away. you could buy one card now that will do fine, such as a 7900 or 7800. then in a couple months when you get some more cash buy the second one.
AMD 3500+
1GB PC3200
ASUS Motherboard
7900GT 256
Closed Thread