Need to upgrade storage... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2015, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Need to upgrade storage...

Kind of ended up in a pickle here... Need help and guidance from a few people, sadly, this topic falls into many categories here on the website...

I need a SAS controller, that is compatible with ESXi 5.5/5.1 and doesn't use a slot larger than PCIe x8. It must support a minimum of 8 HDD's, as well as have options for a BBU, as well as Raid6.
The last little problem, needs to be plentiful on Ebay, and somewhat cheap used.

Anyone have any ideas?

c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Need to upgrade storage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rr0sive View Post
Kind of ended up in a pickle here... Need help and guidance from a few people, sadly, this topic falls into many categories here on the website...

I need a SAS controller, that is compatible with ESXi 5.5/5.1 and doesn't use a slot larger than PCIe x8. It must support a minimum of 8 HDD's, as well as have options for a BBU, as well as Raid6.
The last little problem, needs to be plentiful on Ebay, and somewhat cheap used.

Anyone have any ideas?
Hmm this is far as I can drive you, it'll support 8 drives.
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-sas-SFF-8.../dp/B000GU04VY

Read this users comment first then read what the other guy said.
Do SAS expanders work transparently with SAS controllers? - Server Fault

I suggest you contact lex luthor he's very good with stuff like this.

Why do you need 8 drives to begin with ? if its for those videos your still archiving...
No disrespect but why not take 2 terabytes of video and data and store it away on mediafire.com ?
If its not being used daily I see no need to keep it, especially at the risk of wearing out the drive during a period of time.

-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Because I plan on a RAID array?

I do more than collect Anime/Movies, I have a rather extensive network that has daily backups, some computers in this house will fill a 4TB drive in just one backup.

Limited internet bandwidth?

Link provided is dealing mostly with port multipliers, (expanders) which is really IMO, a useless technology in the end.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Limited internet bandwidth?
that sux
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
that sux
That it does, while I am technically "unlimited" it isn't wise to go over my quota... Gotta love being a test client.

So, anyone have any good ideas? Or am I really going to end up with a SAS expander...?
Old 05-07-2015, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Or am I really going to end up with a SAS expander...?
The way you keep pushing things with those drives as you stated, you don't have any other option but to go with that.
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Ended up going with an Adaptec 9650SE-12 for the controller... Plan on ordering a BBU for it very soon so I can turn write-caching on...

All I know is, the cables that came with the card, didn't work, apparently there is a difference... Pinout 1 and a Pinout 2, and designated by only a single number on the cables... Just happens the only known 100% working cable model is a full meter in length...

Rest of my drives will be in by the end of the week... I hope... If FedEx doesn't screw up anymore... For those asking why don't I use the mobo for those disks... Because I get like 10MB/s throughput on those disks tops because of ESX...

At this point, I guess the thread can be closed.