Need to upgrade (Keep it Cheap)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright I have decided to get the 8800Gt as my video card

I can't choose between the Antec Earthwatts 380W and the Corsair TX650W, Which one would be a better choice in the long run?

also, what should I do with my processor? Is it fine as it is, even without overclocking? or should I replace it?

To trotter: I have been using Nvidia video cards all my life, so I don't really know anything about Radeon's

alright well now that I have most of that stuff out of the way:

Does anyone know what I should do about my processor? Should I replace it or leave it as it is?

Nvidia and Radeon work the same... you just have to make sure you have completely uninstalled the Nvidia drivers before you install the ATI drivers. ;)

The 4200 X2 is a good chip. I am running the s939 version. That said, there are faster chips out there. A 4400 runs $50 on Newegg, and a 6400 is $93 right now. Since your rig is a pre-built, it won't overclock, so the stock speed is all you can get.

Yeh as mentioned go for the 4850 and the Corsair 650 TX.

A 6400 would be alright since your not overclocking. With the parts you would have before getting a new processor you would easily be able to bioshock and the other games you listed, the only real problem with your computer before was that the RAM was very low and the graphics card weak. A 4850+2gig of ram, and even a nice new cpu like the 6400 will have you set for any game.

How Long would a rig like this stand against the new types of games? I'm looking for a rig that could handle games like Bioshock for about a year or so, so that I don't have to go out and buy parts again for a while.

Also, are you guys sure 2 gig is okay even though I have a Vista?Also, if you guys look on page 2 of the Windows Operating Systems and Software forums, I have this problem where my games are going slower by 50% ( if anyone has any idea, let me know please. Info is on the thread titled "Games go slower by a full 50%). So, If I can't get this problem fixed, should I get some stronger parts?

Sorry if that's worded Incorrectly. I am pretty good at English, just not perfect, or anywhere close to it

Have you bought the new parts?

Games should be fine for a year with the rig suggested, the gpu would last a couple of years and really the only thing you might have to upgrade would be the RAM since games are starting to use more and more. Maybe a year down the line get 4gig of ram, though you will need a 64 bit Operating System to register all 4 gigs, since 32 bit only picks up 4gig - your video cards ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom