Need to upgrade (Keep it Cheap)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VistaGamer

Baseband Member
I need to upgrade my computer. This has become obvious in the past following days

recently my friend gave my all his old video games that he had along with the cd keys so that I could play. Included we're games like Warcraft 3+ expansion, Sid Meier's pirates, Warhammer 40k dawn of war + expansions and command and conquer. I have played most of the games and have found out that even though my computer is supposedly "new" (no it isn't custom, i bought it from future shop back in december) at the time, It can't even run games decently at high setting back from 2004-2005.

Heres my Computers settings, Don't flame me or tell my i have a bad build, Because i know that already.

Windows Vista Home Premium

Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard Company ( HP)
Model: a6000n
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200 +2.2 GHz
Memory: 896 MB ( It was advertised as having 1 GB Ram, as a side question anyone know why there was a drop?) [Also it says that I Have 894 MB ram , which is impossible meaning something is eating my RAM, or is there? ( another side question)]
System type: 32- bit operating system
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE 430

Am I missing anything? If I am please notify me

Anyways, I need it to be cheap because I'm on a budget. It's going to be a mostly game computer ( Have to write some stuff on it during the school year) so if that matters at all... yeah.

thanks to anyone that helps

Hi,
Welcome to Tech-Forums

first things first, what IS your budget?

2nd
RAM only 894MB showing up?
most likely because some of it is being allocated for your video card

3rd
I highly recommend you get 2GB of RAM for Vista H.P.
I have 2GB for Vista HP and I still feel like its not enough for me LOL (currently looking for 64 bit...)
but we do different stuff on our comps. so 2GB should be good if you've been surviving with only 1 GB

lastly, you'll probably be fine if you just throw in a dedicated video card in there
still don't know your budget so cannot recommend anything for you yet.

i don't want the total price to go over 300 or so.

i'll probably upgrade it further soon, i just want to reach a proper standard.

The 6150 chipset has a PCI-E slot, so you will be able to use a new graphics card. Odds are your power supply is 300W, so it would have to be replaced to run an upper-end GFX card. A 4200+ X2 isn't bad, as I run a s939 version of it.

Clown is right about the RAM... 2 gig should be a must with Vista. your' RAM is showing up as less because of the RAM assigned for graphics, like Clown said.

Alright, well I now have 1.91 GB of ram ( I know I am doing this slowly, I just got backtracked by other things), and since I have the same problem, I decided to revive the post.

Anyways, Here are my questions

1) If I upgraded my Power supply to around 450W, Should I get a GeForce 9800GX2?
2) What would be better: Overclocking my Processor to go around 2.5ghz, or getting a new processor altogether? I know this isn't advised, but mines fairly slow... and I want it going just a bit faster.
3) How much RAM would be considered a decent amount to run games like BioShock? In short, How much RAM do I need to run games from the recent years?

I am going to be Using TigerDirect(TigerDirect.ca), If any site, to get stuff online. But I will mostly be shopping at Microbytes. ( Microbytes.com).

Thanks for any help

Make sure you have room for the GTX, GX or possibly even GT (if thats what you go for) cards as they have been getting bigger and bigger as the new releases come out.

I had to mod my case to fit my XFX9800GTX in.

my 9800gtx fit in my old apevia/aspire case and that was a cramped mid tower. now i have my dads old full tower that has been painted black and there's loads of room in there

Alright, well I now have 1.91 GB of ram ( I know I am doing this slowly, I just got backtracked by other things), and since I have the same problem, I decided to revive the post.

Anyways, Here are my questions

1) If I upgraded my Power supply to around 450W, Should I get a GeForce 9800GX2?
2) What would be better: Overclocking my Processor to go around 2.5ghz, or getting a new processor altogether? I know this isn't advised, but mines fairly slow... and I want it going just a bit faster.
3) How much RAM would be considered a decent amount to run games like BioShock? In short, How much RAM do I need to run games from the recent years?

1) I wouldn't recommend running a 9800gx2 at all much less on a 450w psu.
2) You have a hP which means the BIOS is locked so you cant overclock.
3) I haven't had problems running any games in vista with 2gb of ram.

I recommend getting a 8800gt and a Antec EA380 psu.

NCIX.com - Buy EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GT 600MHZ 512MB 1.8GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out Video Card - 512-P3-N801-AR In Canada.

NCIX.com - Buy Antec Earthwatts 380W Power Supply ATX12V V2.0 Active PFC 80-PLUS 80MM Fan - EA-380 In Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom