Need Upgrade Advice & VIRUS HELP - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to dykzeulb Send a message via MSN to dykzeulb Send a message via Yahoo to dykzeulb
Red face Need Upgrade Advice & VIRUS HELP

I have a Dell E510 I just bought from dell, has (directly how it is labled under system)

System:
Microsoft XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2
Registered to:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Computer:
Intel(R)
Pentium 4 cpu 3.00GHz
2.99 GHZ, 760 MB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

Along with 2 100 Gb hardrives one for media and one for programs..

I am needing to upgrade the memory, what kind can I get that is compatible, aand since I am upgrading to Vista...what is the amount I should buy, and how many sticks?

I also would like a video card that I can get programs off the tv, or plug the RCAS into my computer from my video camera, and the hardrives have a much smaller plug in than the older ones...what is the name and what do I look for when buying one? Also would like to be able to pick up wireless interent without a router, is the a card that I can use to grab the internet with or do I need to get a router? Can I keep the mother board and upgrade the proccessor or is mine a decent one? (needing to run VISTA and Battlefield)

My virus protection is Nortan Toolbar for Yahoo! thats all I have and have ever had, however for some reason I am havign these same 15 viruses come back everytime, guessing they are embedded some where, this just happened yesterday...I also get a pop up when I boot up...
[OK] l
________________________________________l

That is what the pop up says, I tried to make it look just like what I get, I think I did a good job on it...lol.

I know these are some newbish questions, but I am just wanting something to play around with and build up...Thanks for all the help guys! It is Much appreciated!
!o o!
\~/ Brett~~

Old 07-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Default Re: Need Upgrade Advice & VIRUS HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykzeulb View Post
I have a Dell E510 I just bought from dell, has (directly how it is labled under system)

System:
Microsoft XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2
Registered to:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Computer:
Intel(R)
Pentium 4 cpu 3.00GHz
2.99 GHZ, 760 MB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

Along with 2 100 Gb hardrives one for media and one for programs..

I am needing to upgrade the memory, what kind can I get that is compatible, aand since I am upgrading to Vista...what is the amount I should buy, and how many sticks?

I also would like a video card that I can get programs off the tv, or plug the RCAS into my computer from my video camera, and the hardrives have a much smaller plug in than the older ones...what is the name and what do I look for when buying one? Also would like to be able to pick up wireless interent without a router, is the a card that I can use to grab the internet with or do I need to get a router? Can I keep the mother board and upgrade the proccessor or is mine a decent one? (needing to run VISTA and Battlefield)

My virus protection is Nortan Toolbar for Yahoo! thats all I have and have ever had, however for some reason I am havign these same 15 viruses come back everytime, guessing they are embedded some where, this just happened yesterday...I also get a pop up when I boot up...
[OK] l
________________________________________l

That is what the pop up says, I tried to make it look just like what I get, I think I did a good job on it...lol.

I know these are some newbish questions, but I am just wanting something to play around with and build up...Thanks for all the help guys! It is Much appreciated!
!o o!
\~/ Brett~~
i can't tell u that... run a program called CPU-Z, because sometimes those high clocked P4's are sometimes LGA478 or LGA775, but if u want vista, u need atleast 1gb RAM for good performance, otherwise for gaming u need 2 gb, but i highly recommend a new system if you want Vista to run well and game with good games....

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 07-06-2007, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Default Re: Need Upgrade Advice & VIRUS HELP

I also noticed that u have 760mb ram instead of 768mb ram, so i assume ur using integrated graphics?? unless ur running vista basic thats fine then

Missing Microsoft Windows .dll files. look here for the dll issue
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 07-06-2007, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to dykzeulb Send a message via MSN to dykzeulb Send a message via Yahoo to dykzeulb
Red face Re: Need Upgrade Advice & VIRUS HELP

I thank you greatly for the advice and the help, I am not looking so much for the gaming as I am vista, I mainly want a windows running machine to pump out some media, audio, video, and imaging...

I am going to try the .dll file thing...we'll see how it pans out...

I dont know what integrated graphics is...? (NOOB)
Closed Thread