Need to upgrade.

SergeantSandvich

Beta member
Somewhat in the future, I really need to upgrade my Custom-Built PC, I got it last christmas as a first build, I really did put it to the budget, I'm looking to upgrade it. It runs everything fine but somewhat near the future, It's going to struggle.
Here are my worries.

Current Specifications.
CPU: AMD FX 4100 Quad Core Processor @ 3.6GHZ (Not planning on updating)
GPU: ASUS GTX 550 TI 1GB (GDDR5) (Planning on updating)
RAM: 8GB of DDR3 (2x4GB) (Not planning on updating)
HDD: 500GB (Planning on updating, BIG TIME, Possible SSD and 1TB HDD)
PSU: 400W Xigamatek (Where my worries lie)

I have no idea what to get in replacement for the GPU/PSU/HDD, The biggest concern is buying a cheap PSU around 600-800W and it ends up breaking, I don't want to spend big money but I want it better than it is, I wouldn't mind going for a ATI GPU, my case is a Zalman Z9 plus and is..well slightly broken, front sound ports don't work very well etc, but all I'm asking is for a rough idea on what to upgrade for instance what actual things to buy I'm looking around er...about a £300? Budget no idea yet as it's just still a thought and I can build a better budget in the future, thanks guys :D
-Sandvich-

I'm surprised your PSU hasen't gone pop yet if you are heavy gaming.

PSU needs to be updated first. Grab a Corsair TX 650w. Will be plenty for anything besides dual GPU use (which isn't needed).

Your current GPU will still run things in to the far future with the way gaming is going, but will eventually start to struggle probably in the next 2 years. That is of course if you are fine with lower settings. I would get a 660ti if you are buying right now.

One time I ran a 3.4GHz Pentium 4, 3 HDDs, and an Nvidia GeForce 6200 all on a 250 watt psu for like 3 years before realizing I had a 250 watt psu.
Not a good idea. I'm lucky the whole thing didn't catch on fire.

I'm surprised your PSU hasen't gone pop yet if you are heavy gaming.

PSU needs to be updated first. Grab a Corsair TX 650w. Will be plenty for anything besides dual GPU use (which isn't needed).

Your current GPU will still run things in to the far future with the way gaming is going, but will eventually start to struggle probably in the next 2 years. That is of course if you are fine with lower settings. I would get a 660ti if you are buying right now.

According to this calculator
That system is only using ~280 Watts.
So you're safe from a meltdown or whatever psus do when overloaded.

You will still need the psu PP Mguire suggested for wheen you upgrade. Corsair is a good brand too.

Edit: I messed up the link. It's fixed now

Last edited:
550ti has a recommended wattage of 450w. Those wattages are for the whole system. The TDP on the CPU is 95w and the GPU of 116w and that is over half of that PSUs rated wattage. Problem with it is, 400w is maximum capable and it isn't 80% efficient either. In other words, he's capping that PSU under full load.

Oh ok I wan't thinking abut the efficiency.

That makes me wonder even more why my 250 watt psu which for sure isn't 100% efficient didn't burn out on that one pc...

Back
Top Bottom