need some quick advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

dutch45

Baseband Member
Im looking to build a PC for my uncle and have a few questions. What would do you think would be the best chip to get for a basic user? Essentially this will be used for email, web surfing, photos, and general applications. I tend to go overboard on basic builds and make them into gaming pc's when there is no need to do it. Anyway the budget is 1000 dollars with a monitor. TIA

that looks like a great build, thanks for the input. What do you think is the most ram this thing would ever need? He basically wants to never have to add more and would like it to last for a LONG time.

4Gb of ram should be plenty. Anything more than that isn't necessary, unless he does serious 3D video or photo editing.

Hmm, I read the post too fast on work and assumed he would be doing some gaming on the rig, which the OP doesn't imply in his post indeed. If you (OP) plan to game at all, forget the integrated graphics thing though.

thats what i figured, but good to get a second opinion. Thanks for the help, order is on the way.

Hi, I may have gotten here a bit late, but why spend $800 for an email rig? I would build one as cheap as possible, or get the cheapest available at best buy or equivalent. $200+ should be fine (+monitor)

Excuse me, but WTF would someone who is going to be doing "email, web surfing, photos, and general applications" need with a quad, especially a top end one? This combo has the same board and a X2 5050e 45W CPU for $131, and this one has a X2 5200 65W for $130... both of which would be more than enough for his needs.

At most I would go with a tri-core, like this combo with a Phenom 8750 for $169.

hey guys i took into account that this would be a basic build, but he insinuated on the quad core. Money wasent an issue so the ball is in his court. I actually haven't officially ordered the cpu/mobo but its looking like it will be similiar to the one listed above. Is it just a total waste to do that? Mind you he wants this to last over 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom