Need some help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2007, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Need some help

So I just ordered
( MSI NX8600GT-T2D256E OC GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card). Phenomenal. Shipped today, should get it in a couple of days.

Out of curiosity, I went back to the dell website and looked at my order, then checked out the available video card slots on my machine:

Two PCI card slots
One PCI Express x1 card slot

If this means what I think it means, the card I just ordered will not fit into where the current card is, correct?

Not the end of the world if it doesn't, that just means I have to upgrade my "mobo", correct?

Assuming I have to replace my motherboard, I just have a few questions. First, how difficult would it be? Do I have to take my processor off of the current one and weld that onto the new one? Or is it just as simple as replacing the video card? What does changing motherboards entail?

Secondly, these are the specs of my current computer:

Dimension E310 Series, Intel Pentium 4 Processor 630 with HT Technology (3GHz) and 2MB cache

It also has 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz

I matched up some terms in the NewEgg, and this was the best mobo that I could find:

Would that work?

Finally, would you guys recommend upgrading to 2GB of ram while I'm at it? If so, how does look? I figure it would be a pretty decent upgrade for 30 bones.

Actually...I just noticed that mobo that I linked has a different type of ram (533 currently vs 667 on the new mobo, what is the difference in the numbers, is higher better?)...So I'm guessing that means I would have to do away with the current ram and upgrade anyways?

How would two of work with that mobo?

Also, while I'm doing all this I am thinking about upgrading the power supply. How do I know what type I would need to replace my current one?

Thank you for any and all input.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Need some help

This is John at Dell headquarters.

Unfortunately, your E310 does not support PCIE x16. I wouldn't recommend getting another motherboard, though. The form factor is BTX, and it was a form factor that was abandoned by motherboard manufacturers.

You may be best served by picking up a newer system for a few hundred bucks. Ordering a motherboard from us would probably cost almost as much, and might end up being a bigger hassle than it's worth.

Dell Customer Advocate

Old 10-30-2007, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to phucng_10 Send a message via Yahoo to phucng_10
Default Re: Need some help

As what DellCA has stated. The 8600GT will not fit in your computer because it does not support PCI-e X16.
|phucng_10's WM|
Closed Thread