Need recommendation for new DVD-RW drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ EndurancE

In Runtime
I need a recommendation on a good internal DVD +/- R-RW drive for my desktop PC. My old used one is going out, and I want to get something good that will last! I've had my eye on Sony drives, but I don't really know if they are the best, and I'd like to see what you guys would recommend. ;)

I would like to keep the cost below $50 if possible.
Also, a model that supports Dule Layer would be a plus. :)
I DON'T need Blu Ray or Lightscribe.

I'll probably be shopping on Newegg.com for this -- really love their service!

Looking forward to your input.

Thanks, that's looks almost just like what I'm looking for -- and what a great price! :)

Is everyone else happy with Samsung products? (I've never used Samsung computer hardware before, so I have nothing to compare it to.)

One other thing I just realised: It uses SATA cables, which I have NO knowledge of. :confused: I'm just using IDE and standard power cables on my computer's drives at the moment. So how would I connect this drive to my power supply? And how would I connect it to my motherboard?

What motherboard do you have? Does it have SATA data connectors on it? And does your PSU have molex connectors on it? More info you give us, more help we can give you ;).

One other thing I just realised: It uses SATA cables, which I have NO knowledge of. :confused: I'm just using IDE and standard power cables on my computer's drives at the moment. So how would I connect this drive to my power supply? And how would I connect it to my motherboard?

sata vs. ide is merely a difference of cable type and where you plug it in to your mobo pretty much... its just cables XD
you just have to make sure that your mobo and power supply have spare hookups for it... tell us what you have, and we can tell you whether or not you can add that to it, k? haha

More info you give us, more help we can give you ;).

thats always a good rule of thumb for these forums... well put :) - RK

I have an Antec BP500U 500W power supply, and I just checked the package and it says it has SATA connectors. (It has a whole mass of cables on it, don't know what half of them do!)

I have no idea what mother board I have. :( I got it used from a friend, and it has no name on it. Just says "Canada ICES 003 Class B". I used the EVEREST program to see if it could give me the name, and it just says, "Motherboard name - Unknown". It's a tiny little thing, just 2 RAM slots, 2 PCI and 1 PCI Express slot. Wimpy! :rolleyes:

But I do see 4 ports on it that say SATA1, SATA2, etc. Each about the size of a USB port. Is this what I would plug into?

Sorry but I'm a noob with new computers. :( I'm better with old equipment, 400Mhz prosessors and the like, lol!

The power connectors on the PSU should look like this:
sata15pin.jpg

And the slots on the mobo should look like this (the 2 black, and 2 red things in the pic; yours will probably look different):
sata.jpg

Also, if you order that drive, you'll need a SATA data cable:
Newegg.com - OKGEAR 10" SATA II Cable Model GC10AKM - Retail

But I do see 4 ports on it that say SATA1, SATA2, etc. Each about the size of a USB port. Is this what I would plug into?

yup, its as simple as plugging a power connector in from your PSU, then a SATA cable from your mobo into the back of the drive... carnage's pictures will help you figure out which is which, but its pretty self explanatory haha
no worries, tho... if you have any more questions, feel free to ask... and good luck :) - RK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom