Need PSU Upgrading Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Underwood

Solid State Member
Hello again, folks. I want to order a new psu for the computer that I'm upgrading, but I know nothing about power supplies in general. I am upgrading a Compaq computer and the unit that's in it is only 220W. I need to know what I need in a new one. As far as "type" goes, it was suggested in another thread that I would get ATX, but what about main connector pins(20 pin/20+4pin)? Dual +12v? PFC? Newegg has all these categories.Thanks for any help you can give.

Also: What manufacturers would you recommend? I was leaning towards a Thermaltake or a COOLMAX.

I posted this on another forum as well, so if you see it out there, it's me.

Nukem said:
it would have to be a micro ATX PSU looking at the case... but a standard Matx one should work

Man, I hope not. I can't find any psu's at 400W or over when searching for Micro ATX units.

open up the case and look at the PSU you have there... do a search for it and see what the specs say if it sayd matx/micro atx etc then you have that to look forward too...

if your just looking to replace the one you have a 350 should work nicely and still give you the room to upgrade... as long as your not getting a high end video card, you should be good...

Okay, I searched and I think this is my psu:

Power Supply
Power Supply ATX Power Supply – PFC/Non PCF with a 115v/230v line switch
Full Ranging Input (No Line Select Switch) No
Active Power Factor Correction (APFC) (Input Current is nearly 1/2 a non-APFC PS) No
Passive Power Factor Correction (PFC) Yes (with line switch set to 230v - No PFC in 115v line switch position)
Operating Voltage Range 90 to 132VAC, or 180 to 264VAC
Rated Voltage Range 100 to 127 VAC, or 200 to 240VAC
Rated Line Frequency 50-60 Hz
Operating Line Frequency Range 47-63 Hz
Rated Input Current 6A @ 100VAC/3A @ 200VAC
Maximum Rated Power 220W
Heat Dissipation Max (338W input): 1061 BTU/hr Typical (65W input): 222 BTU/hr Max (338W input): 267 kg-cal/hr Typical (65W input): 56 kg-cal/hr
PS Fan 92mm fan integrated in power supply - variable speed for optimum acoustics
Processor Fan Variable speed fan

This is the sticker info that I got straight from my actual one:

Compaq
Model: DPS-250RB-1A
Input: 100-127V~/18A
200-240V~/4A
Part Number: 277919-001
Spare Number: 277978-001
50Hz-60Hz
+12V / 5A
+5V / 11A
+3.33V / 15A
-12V / .15A
+5VSB / 3A
+12.8V / 7.5A
TOTAL OUTPUT POWER
220W 220W
E131881

Looks like he same one eh? Is it just ATX and not Micro? By the way, here are the physical dimensions. I measured it myself:

5.5 inches wide x 4 inches thick x 6 inches long. There is about 2 inches of clearance from the front of the unit to the dvd drive and about 1 inch from the bottom of the unit to a cooling fan.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

So, as long as the dimensions fit, I just have to make sure that the psu I buy is ATX? Is there anything else that I need to take into consideration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom