Need psu and low end vid card for build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafra

In Runtime
Hoping I can get some help on this build.

E6600
2GB Ram
1x250GB HDD 1x500GB HDD
DVDRW Drive

Need a really low end PCIe vid card. Normally stick with Nvidia. And need a PSU that will power these items, a psu that will last a few years.

Can I do both of the above for $150

This is the PSU I am looking at:
Newegg.com - FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX500-PN ATX2.2 500W Power Supply 110-120/ 220-240V UL, CSA, VDE, NEMKO, TUV, CE, CB, FCC - Retail

No clue on vid card.

I have a Rosewill 450watt Value Series PSU but I don't think that will cut it, will it? It's been used for 1 year already but runs well so far.

Thanks for any help, you guys are always great here :)

Is this for gaming? What is the model number of the PSU? Usually, for a low end card, it should be enough.

No gaming at all. Internet and some DVD watching.

AP-500x is model of the 450 rosewill I have on hand.

I guess I can throw the Rosewill in there and see if it runs.

I just want to make sure that I don't go too cheap on the PSU, I had a PSU die once and it fried the motherboard. But that was a no-name came with the case power supply, not sure how Rosewill stands up for reliability.

For $40 I should probably just buy the Fortron. I just used that one in another build and it was really nice.

Actually the Rosewill PSU was bought in dec of 05, so it's almost 2 years old. Should I replace? I know nothing about PSUs

Any ideas on a decent cheap video card?

8500 or 8600GT...they'll give you a great image quality for your movies.

The FSP may be cheap, but it's a really reliable and stable brand. I have that same exact model, that I linked you, and it ran my E6400 and X1950Pro, overclocked.

I just had a friend offer to give me his Antec Earthwatts 500. Obviously this will power my system and he only used to for 3 months.

Are the Earthwatts pretty reliable? That's what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all the help, if this is a BAD PSU I won't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom