Need an Opinion - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

When it comes to processors im not up-to -date. Im terrible at knowing when they are good and when they are bad. Im looking into buying this laptop but i need an opinion. Heres the Specs:

Brand: HP Processor Type: AMD Turion 64
Type: Laptop/Notebook Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz
Screen Size: 15.4 inch Processor Configuration: Single Core
Operating System: Windows XP Professional Memory (RAM): 512 MB
Primary Drive: DVD+/-RW Hard Drive Capacity: 80 GB

im Mostly concerend with a program it has. Adobe Photoshop. will the laptop run this program well? Also is the processor decent??

Thanks for the help in advance!!!!

Old 10-29-2009, 03:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Re: Processor Question.

well, your sort of asking ambiguous questions there. 'good' isn't really a descriptor. and is it a turion 64 or a turion x2 64?, and what model type? the turion 64 itself was introduced in 2003 I believe(it actually sounds like you have just a turion 64 frankly.). Will it run 'a' version of photoshop well? ya sure. It barely meets the requirements for cs4 but not the recommended req's I believe, as it is better to have at least a gig internal memory, (although it will run with 512, its the minimal.)
I'd pass myself unless it was a real decent deal, I wouldn't pay $40 myself, in which case I'd load a earlier version of photoshop frankly, but I do not know how much of a photoshop guru you are or in what capacity you'd use it of course.
just what I think anyways.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Need an Opinion

I would be most concerned with the small amount of RAM if you want to run heavy programs like Photoshop. I'd go with something that has atleast 1 GB of RAM if you ask me.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I would want at least 2gb of ram depending upon which version of PS you are running.

512 would not be good for any version.
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 10-31-2009, 02:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

heh, Photoshop has been around for 10 years now, I think you'd be surprised on what some of the versions would run on. CS which actually is useable imo, was recommended for only 256MB Ram, and a P3-4. Of course I agree with you for any real serious work, then again if your doing serious work I certainly wouldnt be using a 6 year old laptop either.
Closed Thread