Need a new pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

simplechords

Baseband Member
Need help with a new pc (newb)

l'll be in the market for a new computer by the end of september. Currently i have an hp pavillion with and AMD Athlon xp 2000+ 1.67 ghz, and 128 mb of ram, and a 40 gig hd. I need a computer for web browsing, photoediting, and a little home recording. Do you all have any recomendations. I only can spend around $500-600. I've never built a machine, so i was leaning towards getting something premade.

$500-600. What does that include. Computer only, than that would be good, if not, than don't buy anything. Suggest waiting the month to see if prices drop b/c
ASPIRE X-Dreamer II ATXB4KLW-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420W Power Supply-56
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Socket 939 Processor-146
Arctic SIlver Premium Photosynthetic Silver Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5-8
CHAINTECH VNF4/Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard-80
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400-90
Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive-53
NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A-45
Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2-87
Rosewill RP550 ATX 550W Power Supply-56
eVGA 6600GT 128MB DDR3/PCI-E/TV-Out/Dual-DVI-154

this would cost you $800 with tax/shipping/etc... This is rounded to 800, so could be less. $200 overbudget. If you want to buy now, well you could re-use your 40gb drive and save $53, skimp on the arctic silver and use the stock, and save $8, get only 1 stick of 512MB and wait in the future to upgrade to another 512Mb stick, you could also sacrifice the gfx card for something cheaper.

Roger

Re: Need help with a new pc (newb)

simplechords said:
l'll be in the market for a new computer by the end of september. Currently i have an hp pavillion with and AMD Athlon xp 2000+ 1.67 ghz, and 128 mb of ram, and a 40 gig hd. I need a computer for web browsing, photoediting, and a little home recording. Do you all have any recomendations. I only can spend around $500-600. I've never built a machine, so i was leaning towards getting something premade.

Honestly their's no reason to buy a new computer with what you have, and for your uses.

Three reasons why it can feel slow

#1: It's been over a year since you have reinstalled windows.
#2: You have spyware, and virus's (Most common)
#3: They only put 128 meg of ram in your computer, 512 is recomended.

Now, for around 50$ you can purchase a 512 meg stick of ram, and just pop it in very easily. Once you reformat windows, your computer will feel new again.

ps. The reaons i want a new computer is cuz my current set up is horrilbe. It was $500 at walmart 2 and a half year ago. The video card sucks, it can only handle the crappiest ram, the c.d burner died, the disk drive is broken, and it keeps shutting down due to over heating.

here are all the spec

Hardwareback to top of page

Base processor and speed: Athlon (T) XP1800+ 1.53 GHz featuring QuantiSpeed Architecture Advanced 266 MHz Front-Side Bus (FSB Socket A

Chipset : Via KM 266

Motherboard manufacturer : Trigem

Motherboard specifications

Memory RAM (installed) 128 / PC2100 DDR

Maximum allowed 1 GB (2 x 512 MB) requires replacement of the installed 128 DIMM

Speed supported PC2100 / PC1600

Type DDR SDRAM

DIMM slots Two

Open slots One

Cache Type

Attributes

Primary cache (L1)

128 KB

Secondary (L2)

256 KB

Hard drive

40 GB Ultra DMA

CD-RW drive

32x/10x/40x maximum speed

Diskette drive

1.44 MB (3.5-inch)

Modem

ITU V.90 K56flex Data/Fax

o

92 upgradable
o

PCI interface card

Video graphics

Integrated in Via KM 266 Chipset

Sound/audio

Integrated AC97 audio (Realtek ALC201)

MPEG

MPEG2 full-motion digital video

USB specification

USB 2.0

External ports

Port type

Quantity

USB

Six (Two front and four back)

Serial

One

Parallel

One

PS2 Keyboard

One

PS2 Mouse

One

Expansion slots (total)

Slot type

Quantity

PCI

Three (Two open)

DIMM

Two (One open)

AGP-4X

One (open)

600 at the most

was look at a emachine t6410

The basics: AMD Athlon™ 64 3200+ (2.2GHz), 512MB of DDR memory, 160GB 7200RPM hard drive.

Combo drive: The double-layer DVD+/-R/RW drive lets you record up to 8.5GB of information on just one double-layer disc. This versatile drive also writes to CD.

8-in-1 memory card reader: Transferring files, video, images and MP3s to your computer is easier than ever. This versatile reader accepts Compact Flash I/II, SmartMedia, Memory Stick®/PRO™, MultiMediaCard, SD™ and MicroDrive memory cards.

Graphics and audio: The ATI Radeon® Xpress 200 graphics card and lightning-fast PCI-Express x16 interface provides super-realistic gaming and movie-quality display. Two amplified stereo speakers add great sound to round out your system.

Get connected: Use the 7 USB 2.0 ports to connect to all of your favorite peripherals.

Software bundle: This bundle includes Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition with SP2, as well as software for DVD burning, home finances, virus protection, enhanced productivity and more.

LMFAO wow thats jsut something you dont see everyday. A E-Machine witha 3200, for you seems great. but if you know how yo build that build from damasta55r would be great for you.

also, i do all my photo editing in photoshop cs2. That is the most complicated thing the new computer will have to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom