Need motherboard suggestions for my new processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libido

Solid State Member
Hi all,

I haven't upgraded my CPU since I first built my PC about 5 years ago. While my ASUS P5N-D motherboard has been able to handle modest GPU upgrades (GTX 260), it doesn't seem as though my new processor (see link) I got from NewEgg wants to fit.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

I am a little unfamiliar with socket types and picking the right motherboard. I don't want to break anything since money is tight, so could you suggest some motherboards compliant with my new CPU for around $100?

*Edit*
I was thinking of a new case while I was at it. Would this combo (case + motherboard) be adequate for the AMD Phenon II Quad Core?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.683184

Thanks so much, I'd really appreciate it!

That board and case combo would work well, keep in mind you will need some ddr3 memory as what you have now won't work.

processors sockets have to be the same as the motherboard
so like your processor "amd phenom" socket is am3
i newegged your motherboard it showed two motherboards that has socket LGA 775 so if that is your motherboard socket you need to get a proceesor that has that socket type.
so if you want to keep your processor you need a am3 socket for it. also note that if you change your motherboard it is tied to your OS (operating system) so you may have to get a new OS

Thank you so much for your help. I feel like it would just be easier to return the AMD processor and just buy a LGA 775 socket Intel CPU. Such as this?

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80580Q8400

Otherwise I would need DDR3 memory, a new mobo, probably a new case, and now a re install of Windows 7?

More or less yea. Mindovermasters reply is confusing. DDR2 and DDR3 are not the same. They will not interchange. With that said if you don't want to get into buying a board ram and os then yes that 8400 yorkfield would be a wise choice. @ stock speed it will outperform the AMD cpu you purchased.

that 8400 yorkfield would be a wise choice. @ stock speed it will outperform the AMD cpu you purchased.
Can you PM me the site where you get your benchmarks please? I've been using AnandTech and they say quite the opposite (though the differences aren't huge).

Can you PM me the site where you get your benchmarks please? I've been using AnandTech and they say quite the opposite (though the differences aren't huge).

I use a Phenom @ 3.6 and I had a q6600 @ 3.6 prior. I can tell you from personal experience the q6600 was faster. Synthetic benchmarks are not an accurate way to determine how a cpu will feel and perform in the real world. But I'll look around for some benches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom