Need more storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

HjFUN

Baseband Member
I have a 75gb IDE (The only thing I had) but already its starting to get to small and so i'm considering just buying a 500gb sata and reinstalling the OS. I'm just wondering whether or not I could just put it in and have it work alongside the IDE but I've heard about problems with that.

if your motherboard has a Sata controller then yes, you can=)

you should install the 500gb as your file storage drive, and use the 75g for the windows installation only

(or partition the 75g into 2 partitions, 5gb, and 70gb, and use the 5gb partition for windows, then use the 70gb partition for file storage, and the 500gb for file storage)

also, there are new EIDE drives you can get that are just as high capacity as the sata disks

either way, use the 75g for your windows installation, and move all your extra files to the other drive,

this will speed up windows boot, and will help prevent fragmentation issues that will inevitably slow everything down (you can handle waiting 2 seconds for a game to load thats slightly fragmented, but its annoying when your windows installation is fragmented, because it seriously impacts startup / shutdown times)

I already have the 75g in 2 partitions 20 for windows and programs(not games) and 55 for every thing else but I think I might make the 20g for windows only then the 50 for programs with the huge 500g for files and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom