In need of more RAM

luke127

The Ghost
Okay so I recently got a second hand Tower. It's an old LG but I don't know it's specs. Anyway I'm assuming the motherboard can handle more than 768MB of RAM. I would guess judging by the age of the PC that 1 GB or 1.5GB would be it's max. Although I can't be sure. Also the BIOS is extremely advanced for it's age. It's got CMOS controls+Advanced BIOS.

It's using Phoenix BIOS but I couldn't find anything about a max limit of RAM on the MB itself. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Would the system specs be in the BIOS?

Okay I'll pull it apart when I get home. I don't know the model. Although the company who serviced it a few years ago might. They keep a record of EVERY job. So my job number should still be in their system. They should be able to tell me the model.

So how else are you going to get the information? Just off the brand model that may be non-existant? You do know than manufactuers like HP can have multiple mobo for same model numbers, And without knowing the numbers after the model number, you have a 50/50 chance of getting thge correct one.

I don't think any manufactuer is going to gimp the mobo RAM capacity, so the mobo number, along with a proper search string, is still your best chance .

I've seen some HP and Dell motherboards that were cut down. Few PCI slots removed, some memory slots removed, front ports removed. While the board may able to hold 4GB, it may be each slot can handle only 1GB. So if two are removed, you can only have a max of 2GB.

And motherboards can easily be as non-existent as manufacturer's model numbers.

Back
Top Bottom