Need laptop advice, please!? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 01:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Need laptop advice, please!?

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a laptop, I'm wondering what chipset seems better for a laptop, I know there's like Turion 64 and semperon from AMD. I'm going mid level, so something like a Semperon or Celeron I guess are my choices, what about the mobile xp cpu from AMD is that like semperon, I'd like something that can do graphics related stuff and multitasking.

Here are a name of a few I was looking at, maybe someone can give adice on which is best...

Acer Aspire 3613 WLCi Home Notebook Computer

Intel Celeron M Processor 370 1MB L2 cache, 1.50GHz, 400MHz FSB
Memory 512MB (512/0) DDR2 400 SDRAM
Hard Drive 60GB
CD/DVD Drive CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive
Display 15.4" WXGA (1280 x 800) Acer CrystalBrite Technology
Video Capability Mobile Intel 910GML Express chipset with integrated graphics
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Wired Network Interface 10/100 LAN

Acer Aspire AS3003WCIH4 Home Notebook

Processor Mobile AMD Sempron™ Processor 3000+ (128KB L2 cache, 1.80GHz, up to 1600MHz system bus)
Memory 256MB DDR333 SDRAM
Hard Drive 40GB hard drive
CD/DVD Drive DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
Display 15" 1280x800
Video Capability SiSM760GX chipset with integrated Mirage™2 graphics
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Wired Network Interface 10/100 LAN
Wireless Network Interface 802.11b/g WLAN
Modem V.92 modem
Wireless Network Interface 802.11b/g WLAN
Modem V.92 modem
Extras CrystalBrite Technology

Old 11-17-2005, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to MasterRex Send a message via MSN to MasterRex

How much are you looking to spend? I am selling my 1 year old laptop....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...arex/Good3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...arex/Good2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...arex/Good1.jpg

Averatec 3150HW
Athlon XP-Mobile 1700+
512mb Ram
32mb Savage GFX
12' lcd
DVD/CDRW
Comes Preloaded w/ windows and serial on bottom
~3.5lbs (Über Light.)
3+ Hours of Batt. life
nice sized keyboard
30gb HD

It is a thin and light model. It is more powerful than either of the systems you posted... and I only want $500 for it. Please email me. MasterRex862@gmail.com

Old 11-17-2005, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to NewCents05

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acer-...oductDetail.do

this is better than both of those and at a good price too

as for the computer ur trying to sell masterrex thatll never go for 500 new ones run around 700 and thats like 3 generations old i bought the generation above that with an 2500+ processor for $480 including shipping and everything on ebay
Old 11-18-2005, 10:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

You should consider buying a tablet PC, it's a good investment. It's a laptop, but you can take notes on it by writing on the screen. If your a student, you are going to love it. No longer do you have to carry paper. Right now there is a cheap refurbished tablet PC for just $799 on tigerdirect.com

That is very cheap for a tablet PC considering they cost twice as much.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3898&CatId=219
Old 11-18-2005, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Law
You should consider buying a tablet PC, it's a good investment. It's a laptop, but you can take notes on it by writing on the screen. If your a student, you are going to love it. No longer do you have to carry paper. Right now there is a cheap refurbished tablet PC for just $799 on tigerdirect.com

That is very cheap for a tablet PC considering they cost twice as much.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3898&CatId=219
Tablet pcs are so pointless whhhhaaattt is the difference from typing than writing on a screen. i type waaaay faster than i can write so thats just a waste of time for me. and if your a student that takes notes on a laptop then you should be able to type fast anyway so thats useless.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

The point is to have a laptop + be able to take notes and organize them. Try using a regular laptop and draw a diagram with that mouse pad I bet you would give up. Thats the point of a tablet PC. For $799 you get more than a laptop, you get a tablet PC. If you take notes with your laptop then how will you be able to draw those diagram or whatever the instructor put on board with ease. Thats why a tablet PC lets you write on the screen so later you can covert your handwriting to text and convert the diagram to a picture.

Why get a regular laptop when you can get a tablet PC, it's a laptop + tablet.

I don't have to carry around paper, just a tablet pc and my text book thats about it, its more convenient
Old 11-18-2005, 06:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

well the few times i have to draw a diagram i use paper because u kno its not like 5000 pounds extra to carry around its like measely ounces. i always have a pen handy for checks and signing receipts and such so ill just pull out some paper and do the diagram. And i haaaate the stupid touchpad thing cause its just a pain in the neck to use. i have a wireless mouse that only costed me 20 bucks so i could easily make a diagram using that if i wanted but i still find it useless making a diagram on the computer when its so much easier to use paper. tablet pcs are only helpful for buisness/doctors. my aunt has one of those and she owns a medical clinic and ive seen her use it. its useful for checking off and taking inventory of things you have/need for school i find it compleltly pointless mainly meant for showing off like ooo i got a touch screen and my screen can swivel like uhh whoopdeedoo. i used to have a palm pilot and had sooooo much fing crap with it. it was a good one too but trying to write with it to make it spell out my word gave me headaches. end up having to learn how to write a new alphabet. Also tablet pcs arent any good for gaming plus they usually dont have screen sizes bigger than 12in-13in.

I have an averatec 3200 series notebook and i hate it. cost me 949 bucks at sams club and i finally figured out theres so many better deals out there than averatec. it overheats like crazy. i mean it like burns up the palm pad is hot to touch. overheats more than a big desktop replacement laptop. i guess nowadays their prices more reflect their quality than they did in the past but if your gonna get a tablet pc id go with acer cause they were like one of the first to make a tablet pc and they kno how to make em too.

Closed Thread