Need Ideas for Media/Home Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

davo-man

Beta member
Hi everyone. I'm Dave and I'm fairly new to computers (so excuse me if I ask some dumb questions). I've decided that for my next computer, I will build it, cos everyone seems to say that it's cheaper and you get exactly what you want. To help me do this, I was hoping that some people would be able to give me some tips as to what components would be good for me, or even just some general guidelines about what brands are good/****e.

So, what will I use it for? Well, I'll use it for quite a variety of things: music storage/editting/playing, video storage/editting/playing, games (although this is negligible considering my most complex game is Harry Potter :D ), Uni work including most Microsoft Office products, web development, using Adobe Premier package CS4 and of course internet browsing. My general aim is to have quite a powerful machine that can handle quite a few programs open at once (for instance Photoshop, with the internet open and a DVD playing in the background) without freezing. Also, I would love for it to have dual digital TV tuners, so that I can watch one program whilst recording another. I'd also love to have a BluRay player in it because I'm beginning to build up my collection and I would like to play them on my comp as well. Finally, it would be great to have a media card reader.

I have no company allegiances, I don't plan to overclock, and I can figure out monitor, mouse, and keyboard another time. My budget is $1000 - 2000, and I'm hoping not to need to upgrade for a while, or at least have a computer that is easily upgradable. Soooo, any suggestions? This seems to be a good starting point to me; does it seem reasonable for my needs?

Thanks for any help you can give :)

with your budget, an i7 build would be better and will last you longer. right now, this build comes out to $1,179.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH080G1 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks
Newegg.com - ASUS Black 6X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal 6X Blu-Ray DVD Combo Model BC-06B1ST - Blu-Ray Drives

ive left out a card reader because ive never used one, so i dont know what brands are best in that area, so that still needs to be added in.

ive also left out a graphics card because i dont know if youll want to play any real demanding games in the future. i wouldve suggested a 4850, a good mid end card, but that might be more than what youre looking for.
Newegg.com - XFX HD-485X-YDFC Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Thank you very much for your help :) Looks like a great system. Just out of interest, I have a couple of questions:

I have a wifi connection in my house, will I need to get anything extra to connect to that, or are motherboards built to automatically have the ability to connect to a wifi network?

What's the difference between Solid State Disk and a regular hard drive?

it doesnt come with internal wifi, not that i know of, you probably have to buy an internal pci wifi card or an adapter to get it.

ssd's are newer and they work much faster than regular hdds, but that increase in speed comes at a relatively high price still for the amount of storage they offer. thats why ive only added an 80gb one so that you can install your os and programs on that, they will all load much faster, and you use the 1tb hdd for storage.

oh and i forgot to ask before if you would also be needing an OS. if you do, you can get vista 64-bit with a free upgrade coupon for windows 7.
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - Operating Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom