Need help upgrading my old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Feet

In Runtime
Please give me some suggestions for a mobo, CPU and RAM. I'm hoping to keep everything under $500 and will be using most of my old parts and case.

I currently have
Case - coolermaster CM690
mobo - gigabyte P35-DS3L
CPU - Q6600
GPU - GT 240
PSU - corsair 520HX
CPU cooler - thermaltake ultra 120
4gb RAM
Win XP

I would like an i3 or maybe i5 build. I also just found out from a friend that he has a new GTX 460 he will sell me for $50 so that is the GPU I plan to use(single GPU only, no plans for SLI). I also plan on going with Win7. I DO NOT plan on overclocking. Will I need a CPU cooler or will the stock one be good enough? (I don't think the thermaltake 120 will fit the new CPU's.) I'll also be using my old hd and dvd drives.

This will be mainly used to run The Old Republic and that's it. I don't need anything insane, just run the game better than it is now.

Thanks for any suggestions.

That Quad is still a beefy CPU. But if you get i3 or i5, get 1155. That means you need a new board, CPU, DDR3, and an OS reinstall. No doubt you need a new heatsink as well, unless they have 1155 kits. Go to Windows 7.

First get the gtx 460 from your friend and install it onto your current system to try out. If you feel that it is still too slow, than you can upgrade the rest of the system.

I actually had a GTX 460 a while back that I sold. It ran most games ok, but certain games it did lag pretty bad and I would have to adjust the graphics and start turning stuff down to get my FPS back up. I certainly couldn't run everything on max without issues. I'm guessing it was the rest of my hardware and not the GTX 460.

I would really appreciate some suggestions on what to get for an i3 or i5 build.

edit: also my Q6600 never did overclock well so I just keep it on stock settings. I always had issues with BSOD and crashing. I don't know if it was a problem with my mobo, RAM or what. But after months of tweaking with it I gave up and just put everything back to stock speeds. It's almost a 5 year old processor with lot of use so an upgrade would be nice.

Sure, we can suggest something. But first we need to know what your budget is. Also, what parts can you carry over? HDDs? PSU? Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom